Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 17, 2014, 10:12:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All I want for Christmas...  (Read 3146 times)
Wits End
House Bee

« on: November 23, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »

is for spring to get here! Time to wait and wonder how the girls are doing. We still have some warm days here, but not a lot of activity from the hives. Yes I have wood work to do and equipment that needs to be repaired or even painted but I really just want to be in the hives and catching swarms, doing trap outs and I even have a cut out to do on a house the state is tearing down next summer for a highway project. I need to put some hangers on the 4 new "Coates" swarm traps. I think I'm going to paint some of our wax on the inside too. I would like to finish another TBH this winter also and I've gotten really interested in Warre beekeeping. I know I'm walking a thin line between enthusiast and divorcée. I just hope I stay on the enthusiast side. Well time to cut more firewood, break is over. See you in the spring girls!

Jeff and Kellie Houston
Wits End Blueberry and Bee Farm
Greenwood Mississippi
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 09:03:46 PM »

with all that work lined up, spring will be here before you know it!  tell your wife you chose a hobby that would allow you to be home with your family.  that should do the trick.  Wink

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Wits End
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 07:33:17 AM »

Thanks Kathy. my bee yard is across the road so after several years of watching me enjoy the bees she started to go with me (I am a diabetic and she doesn't like for me to go alone) Now she likes getting her hands in them too. Just as long as I don't spend to much time beeking.

Jeff and Kellie Houston
Greenwood Mississippi
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 07:50:25 AM »

I kind of look forward to the winter downtime.  A good time to catch up on building equipment, experiments, and reading.  It’s nice not to have to worry about the bees for 6 months. 
tefer2
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 09:56:08 AM »

It kind of gives me an empty feeling after we close up the hives for the winter nap, then I remember all the crap I need to do for the bee's before spring.
Wits End
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 11:36:20 AM »

I like to look through all the bee supply catalogs like I used to look through the Sears and Roebuck wishbook when I was a kid.

Jeff and Kellie Houston
Greenwood Mississippi
Larry Bees
Field Bee

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 12:09:54 PM »

I kind of look forward to the winter downtime.  A good time to catch up on building equipment, experiments, and reading.  It’s nice not to have to worry about the bees for 6 months. 

I would think that you would worry more about them in the winter time cause you don't look at them that often cause of the cold and snow. Larry
hankdog1
Field Bee

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 12:20:50 PM »

Come on y'all we can build equipment while we're suppost to be sleeping.  Spring can't get here fast enough I'm hooked on catching swarms and may end up on anti depressents before winter is over.  So hurry up spring before the wife throws me in the loony bin.   evil

Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!
Wits End
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 06:01:02 PM »

Me too Hank!

Jeff and Kellie Houston
Greenwood Mississippi
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 04:08:16 PM »

Snow, lots and lots of snow. 

My 8 year old grand-daughter had a letter to Santa printed in the local paper.  She just wants people to be nicer to each other, I'm pretty sure I want that too Smiley

thomas

"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."
sterling
Field Bee

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 06:30:28 PM »

My 8 year old grand-daughter had a letter to Santa printed in the local paper.  She just wants people to be nicer to each other, I'm pretty sure I want that too Smiley

thomas
She may have read some of your post on here and thinks you should be nicer to the conservatives. grin grin Brian
Jim 134
Super Bee

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 06:47:56 PM »

I like to look through all the bee supply catalogs like I used to look through the Sears and Roebuck wishbook when I was a kid.

I purchased my first bought bees from Sears and Roebuck in 1957.  Great store and great products.  I purchased several more packages of bees and hive bodies from Sears and Roebuck over the next several years.  Great memories! Just and old beekeeper  Brian

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 Smiley

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/
Intheswamp
Queen Bee

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 12:07:12 AM »

I purchased my first bought bees from Sears and Roebuck in 1957.  Great store and great products.  I purchased several more packages of bees and hive bodies from Sears and Roebuck over the next several years.  Great memories! Just and old beekeeper  Brian

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 Smiley
That's interesting Jim.  Recently me and my mentor went to check out a feral colony that had taken up in a barn/large storage building.  While we were there the owner pointed out some bee equipment...and said we could have it!  My mentor ended up with two complete 10-frame deep hives and unbuilt supers, extra inner covers, etc.,.(I'm going all 8-frame equipment).   I did end up with an almost new smoker.  As it turns out the guy's father had kept some bees for a short period of time...his mother is still alive and she's 91 years old...this equipment is probably circa 1960 or so.  Guess what?...the shipping label was from....Sears and Roebuck!!!!  Wink

...and, to stay on topic....I want spring to get here, too!!!  Then I get to move my 2-3 hives to my house and deploy my swarm traps and work on a couple of trap outs!  Maybe even some cut outs!!!  Oh, I'd better get to painting and a few more things to build, too!!!!!  grin

Ed

Country Heart
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 01:44:48 AM »

Going through the catalogs and planning for the girls (and all the equipment that comes with them) will keep me busy until spring.
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 05:39:52 AM »

thomas
She may have read some of your post on here and thinks you should be nicer to the conservatives. grin grin Brian

Rest assured sterling, my Grand daughter knows me and adores me, you on the other hand...seem to be looking for something..... Undecided(might be more than you bargained for, never know?)

At least I've NEVER called anyone an idiot (I save that kind of talk for 'face to face' conversation, (its to easy to be brave on the computer). If you've actually read my posts you'd know that.

Fact is some around here don't want to debate as much as they just want you to agree with them and their opinion.  Anything less brings out the beast as has been repeatedly shown, hence the reason I avoid 'this' place. 

And there are some who plainly don't like their positions challenged and rather than debate or discuss an issue, the mind narrows instead, resulting in low level baiting and meanness.  What can be accomplished that way?  Look to Congress for answers rolleyes.

What a shame you had to respond to my post in such a judgmental way.  Too many people have pockets full  of preconceived notions.  Empty those pockets people Smiley

Am I guilty of calling out those who try to bully others around?  You bet I am, and I'm afraid that just ain't gonna change, here or in 'real' life. 

I don't care for bully's of any stripe and name calling belongs on the playground. I thoroughly enjoy knocking bully's down a few pegs (with words these days), just not as easy on the web.

Thanks for the warm up grin

thomas

Jim 134
Super Bee

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2011, 10:15:41 AM »

Guess what?...the shipping label was from....Sears and Roebuck!!!!  Wink

If I remember correctly
Sears and Roebuck was Dadant
Montegomery Ward was A.I.Root

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 Smiley

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/
Intheswamp
Queen Bee

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2011, 01:49:23 PM »

Guess what?...the shipping label was from....Sears and Roebuck!!!!  Wink

If I remember correctly
Sears and Roebuck was Dadant
Montegomery Ward was A.I.Root

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 Smiley
Neat!

VolunteerK9
Super Bee

Gamecock fan in UT land.

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 03:28:47 PM »

It’s nice not to have to worry about the bees for 6 months.  

This is my worry time. I worry more about bees in the winter time than I do in the Spring/Summer.
sterling
Field Bee

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 06:26:25 PM »

thomas

Rest assured sterling, my Grand daughter knows me and adores me, you on the other hand...seem to be looking for something..... Undecided(might be more than you bargained for, never know?)

At least I've NEVER called anyone an idiot (I save that kind of talk for 'face to face' conversation, (its to easy to be brave on the computer). If you've actually read my posts you'd know that.

Fact is some around here don't want to debate as much as they just want you to agree with them and their opinion.  Anything less brings out the beast as has been repeatedly shown, hence the reason I avoid 'this' place. 

And there are some who plainly don't like their positions challenged and rather than debate or discuss an issue, the mind narrows instead, resulting in low level baiting and meanness.  What can be accomplished that way?  Look to Congress for answers rolleyes.

What a shame you had to respond to my post in such a judgmental way.  Too many people have pockets full  of preconceived notions.  Empty those pockets people Smiley

Am I guilty of calling out those who try to bully others around?  You bet I am, and I'm afraid that just ain't gonna change, here or in 'real' life. 

I don't care for bully's of any stripe and name calling belongs on the playground. I thoroughly enjoy knocking bully's down a few pegs (with words these days), just not as easy on the web.

Thanks for the warm up grin

thomas
Easy old man I was just playing. Did you not see the smiley faces after my entry. grin grin You seem to have a short fuse. Kiss Which kinda backs up what I said.
I enjoy the discussions on here but I don't take em too serious.  rolleyes
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2011, 04:17:12 AM »

Even as a child I was never one who enjoyed playing games or laughing/relishing at anothers pitfalls or mis-steps.

As can likely be imagined, I've been accused of being too serious before.

thomas

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next