Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 18, 2014, 11:45:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VSH Queens, hygenic bees and varroa  (Read 1380 times)
Poppi
House Bee

« on: November 21, 2011, 05:33:53 PM »

Would like some input/feedback on thoughts to requeen hives struggling with varroa using VSH queens.  The varroa count was slightly affected for a very short time period using powdered sugar.  I tried ApiLife Var and still the mite levels were too high.  I would go with Oxalic Acid next but it's too soon having done the other treatments and too late this year.  I don't want to use chemicals but I don't want to lose colonies to varroa.

I know several folks agree the best thing would be bees that tolerate mites and fight them off naturally.  I have read some recent articles on VSH queens and hives showing some promising results.  It appears this area of apiculture is still under scrutiny and I wanted to see if anyone here has experience or knowledge working with VSH hives before I requeen.

Thanks,  John
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 03:42:10 PM by Poppi » Logged
rdy-b
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 12:04:21 AM »

where are you going to get the queens--whos supplying them--RDY-B
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 03:29:17 AM »

It certainly won't help this winter... and in my experience makes little difference.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Poppi
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 03:38:04 PM »

rdy-b    not sure yet...  there are breeder's in California but that is a little far for me...  I believe Long lane honey farms has been rearing hygienic queens or is at least working on them.  They are in south central Illinois.  It's just a thought and I'm trying to get some input from anyone who has had hygienic bees...  I read Russians have some of this trait or are more able to tolerate varroa...  and of course African's...   ain't going there  Smiley

John

Poppi
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 03:50:27 PM »

Michael,  yep...  I know it's too late but it is still warm here so I am going to powder sugar their little butts to knock down the varroa count.  There is very little brood now so I will powder 'em every 4 days for 16 days and do a 24 hour count in between to see if there is a lower count after each...  it may be too late anyway for this hive...  I'm seeing some DWV as well...

John
FRAMEshift
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 09:06:37 PM »

The VSH trait may help but remember that it is recessive and will be quickly diluted out if you open mate your queens.  To get a real benefit, you would have to continually import new VSH queens (or have enough VSH hives to saturate the drone congregation areas.)

"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh
Poppi
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 05:34:30 PM »

Good point FRAMEshift,  right now I only want to compare a hive with VSH and one without...  if there is a difference I may go with that and breed my own...  if not, I haven't lost anything...  I read a good article on this and I'm just curious...

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next