Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 28, 2014, 12:22:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Honey that's not so nice.  (Read 597 times)
bernsad
House Bee

« on: November 27, 2011, 02:00:18 AM »

G'day guys,

What do you do if you've got a couple of frames of honey that's not too nice? Do you cut your loses and just wash it down the sink? Mix it with some better stuff and hope that it ends up tasting okay? Does this run the risk of ruining the good stuff you're mixing in or do you just keep adding good honey until your blend is satisfactory? Feed it back to the bees, and wil they like it?

I've got a couple of really old frames that I'm about to extract but I don't know how good the honey will be. I'm going to keep it seperate for now, I've extracted all the new stuff, but I'm wondering what to do with it then if it doesn't taste any good.

Appreciate the help with all the really dumb questions.

Regards,
B
Spomenko
New Bee

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 03:05:43 AM »

Why not nice?
Maybe not quite full?
If you were standing in the open or in the sun may have been deformed?

Open them and go back to the hive when honey is not spoiled.
Monster1970
New Bee

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 07:17:16 AM »

bernsad,

Was the honey capped?

I have heard of some beeks mixing a honey they thought was a little full in flavour with a lighter batch to make a blend. Not something I would consider though.

We have designed our civilization based on science and technology and at the same time arranged things so that almost no one understands anything at all about science and technology. This is a clear prescription for disaster.  

Carl Sagan.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 09:44:02 AM »

I've got a couple of really old frames that I'm about to extract but I don't know how good the honey will be.

the only thing that matters is the taste.  if it's good, keep it.  i got some that is so dark it looks like molasses. it looked a little strange but it's fantastic taste.  i have kept it for me.   Wink 

if you taste it and don't like it, feed it back to the bees for fall feed.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next