Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 27, 2014, 05:17:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Little health issue I wanted to chat about  (Read 3939 times)
Miss Chick-a-BEE
House Bee

« on: July 21, 2005, 01:20:24 PM »

Hey everyone-

I just wanted to talk with you about something that has me kinda worried. I don't know how anyone else is about sharing problems, but it always makes me feel better to talk about stuff.
Anyway ... Smiley

Got a little health problem, and I don't really know WHAT is going on, but my doctor's is having me get a CT scan of my head today. Over the last year I've had dizzy spells, and over maybe 6 months I've had short sharp pains in my head. I've gone to the hospital over the dizzy spells, and they always said it was due to dehydration. That always seemed like a stupid answer, considering I'm not overly thirsty, and I DO drink lots of water every day. But anyway, the dizzy spells would usually only last a couple weeks and then I'd start to feel stronger and better again. And I basiclly ignored the sharp head pains because I'd only get 2 -3 in a month. I never told my doctor about the pains because I just didn't see them as too bothersome.

But last monday night, at work, I got the head pain..... but it was all totally different this time. And worrisome. I got the sharp pain, then had blurred double vision and got dizzy. After it basicly passed my arms and hands felt all tingly, like as if they'd fallen asleep. I went to check my blood pressure because I've noticed that SOMETIMES it drops when I have the dizzy spells. It was perfect though - just 102 over 63.
A co-worker noticed me and asked if I was ok, and I found myself unable to talk. That scared both of us. So she had me sit down and after a bit most of the bad feelings faded. The dizzy spells stayed though, and were not only stronger than usual but more often. So after a couple hours I asked to go home.

The next day I felt basicly ok. Aside from the usual feeling that started about 3 weeks ago - nausea, tired, and weak. But this weird pressure was in my head where the sharp pain had happened, and it was sort of pushing at my eye. Went to work that night, and started getting dizzy again after just an hour. I also felt the pressure in my head much stronger when I tried lifting stuff that was heavy (I'm usually very strong).

So I went home that night too, and went to the doctor in the morning. Of course what I told her got her very worried, and she called the hospital for an "MRI stat". Earliest anything could be done is today at 2:30, and we'll start with the "cheaper" CT scan. But if they see anything, then we'll have to do the MRI.

So.... that's where I am at the moment. Kinda worried, but at the same time maybe it'll answer why I get these dizzy spells.

I'll keep you all informed as to what the scan says, but I probably won't know anything until atleast Monday or Tuesday. And I know you all care, that you'll be thinking of me, and saying prayers for me. But PLEASE don't worry. That's not my intention in telling you about this. Just needed to talk about it, and wanted you to know what's up if I'm not around for a bit. Cause I am tired, and my head hurts just a bit. I might take a break from the forum till some time next week.

Beth
BigRog
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 08:37:07 PM »

In my thoughts

"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"
eivindm
Global Moderator
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 07:55:42 AM »

I'll think about you, Beth!
Bruce Hanson
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 11:10:38 AM »

BETH,                                 When you are getting your scan you wont be alone there are lots of us that will be thinking or our        miss Chick a Bee                                 Bruce
Miss Chick-a-BEE
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 12:36:43 AM »

Well everyone.... here's the update.

Just got home tonight after a tiring 4 day stay at the hospital. Thankfully all the doctors big fears did not come true. No lumps, bumps, hemorage, or anything in the head. Smiley Good news. She wants me to go to an other doctor just to be safe, but we're thinking my illness is due to too high of blood sugars for just far too long. They never did get them under control even there. (sigh) So.... guess it's better than having a lump or bump, but only means I won't be well any time soon. Not until I get my blood sugar under control for a time.

Chad had himself a scare yesterday while taking care of my chickens. He could have ended up in the hospital himself!! He went to change the baby chicks water (which he now realizes they hadn't touched for 2 days) and found a large RATTLE SNAKE. We're guessing it's been there since Saturday or something, which is the day I went in the hospital. Here's the pic of the snake after he killed it, with the noticable bulge in the belly from the meal it had:

I haven't been out the the barn yet to see how many baby chicks he ate. Stupid snake!! But atleast Chad is ok. Just so you know, that doorway the snake is in is 3 feet wide. So that appears to be about how long it is. Yikes! Time to get the grass cut way back.

It's good to be home though.
Beth
eivindm
Global Moderator
Field Bee

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 06:22:25 AM »

Good to hear from you again!

Glad to hear it wasn't as bad as you feared.  The worst thing is often to not know what the problem is, I guess.  Hope they'll figure out the blood sugar problems soon!

That snake story seemed a bit scary.  We only have one poisonous kind of snake in Norway, and it is not leathal to grown up humans.  So I always get impressed by "I found a rattlesnake in my garden" stories smiley
BigRog
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 01:44:17 PM »

They're delicious pan fried

"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"
BigRog
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005, 01:46:14 PM »

HOW TO BUTCHER RATTLESNAKES  

Cut head off about 4 inches behind head. Hang by tail just below rattles so that snake may bleed well. Using a sharp knife, on belly side and beginning at head end, split skin entire length.
Starting with head end, separate skin from meat and peel upward to place where snake is tied; strip entrails from body of snake and dispose of.

Clip body of snake where it is tied and drop in fresh cold brine water (either cover container or be sure to stand by it because the snake will crawl out of water). Take down skin, salt well and roll with scales on outside; place in container with lid and freeze until ready to tan. When body of snake has stopped crawling, remove and wash in fresh cold water, chop in lengths 3 or 4 inch long.

NOTE: Be sure to dispose of head immediately as they can bite for several hours. Place heads in covered container. DO NOT HANDLE WITH BARE HANDS!

RATTLESNAKE STEAK:

2 to 4 foot rattlesnakes, dressed and chopped
Salt
2 c. Crisco oil, very hot
1 c. flour
Pepper, optional

Salt meat, then roll in flour. Drop in hot oil until golden brown. Serve hot.
Serves 4.

Goes well with salad, green beans and creamed potatoes.

amymcg
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 07:21:36 AM »

Beth,

Glad to hear you don't have anything new growing in your head  Cheesy

Pay attention to your body, a sharp pain in anything is not usually good.

Good luck with your treatments, man that's one scary rattlesnake.
mark
House Bee

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005, 07:44:06 PM »

poor snake!

are you sure that's a rattlesnake cause it don't look like one.
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 09:48:59 AM »

I don't see any rattles.  Are you sure it's not a bull snake?

If you want to try eating rattlesnake, I'd recommend soaking it in salt water for four days before you cook it.  Otherwise it's a bit chewy.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
stilllearning
House Bee

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005, 09:42:56 PM »

I don't see any rattles. Are you sure it's not a bull snake?

If you want to try eating rattlesnake, I'd recommend soaking it in salt water for four days before you cook it. Otherwise it's a bit chewy.

MICHAEL YOU SHOULD HAVE ADDED THROW OUT THE MEAT AND EAT THE SALT WATER  RATTLESNAKE IS NASTY

Wayne Cole
Miss Chick-a-BEE
House Bee

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2005, 08:31:39 AM »

I don't know - my husband said it was a rattle snake, but I wasn't there.

I THINK he knows the difference.... he's smart enough.

And I DON'T think he would tell me it was a rattle snake if it wasn't. Smiley

But..... here in the south everyone calls even the smallest mouse a RAT, so maybe he's like that. I'll have to ask him to clarify it I guess. Smiley

I didn't even question it. He said it was a rattle snake, so I told everyone else it was a rattle snake. There is always that possibility I have wrong information. Smiley

Beth
ayyon2157
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2005, 01:11:14 AM »

Hi Beth:

Sounds like you are pretty much OK.

I had, a couple of years ago, a mini-stroke which prevented me from speaking for a couple of minutes.  Didn't happen again, and I didn't seek any medical attention.

Sounds to me like you might have "irregular heartbeat" whereby the heart sometimes "flutters" and either starves the body for oxygen, or creates a tiny blood clot.

Many years ago, I used to have "low blood sugar" problems which would put me in shock, make me sweat, blurr my vision, and give me terrible headaches.  The medical profession was pretty much stumped, as they never had the opportunity to take a blood sample when I was having "an incident".

I treated it by eating like I was a mild diabetic, switching to diet pop and watching my sugar intake, especially the eating of sweet things by themselves.  I guess I kind of outgrew it, but I still watch my sugar intake and don't have headaches.

I will try to send a christian prayer your way.

bill m

William H. Michaels
Miss Chick-a-BEE
House Bee

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2005, 08:53:23 AM »

Thank you Bill..... prayer is always welcome.

From what the dietician (spelling?) said at the hospital, my problem was due to deyhdration and too high of sugars.

It seems they got me pretty fixed up at the hospital. I felt GREAT for 2 days after, but I'm feeling sorta yucky again. So frustrating. My blood sugar IS getting under control a little more - running sometimes low, but mostly in the mid-hundreds to low 200's. That's way better than it was, and very close to getting were the doctors want it to stay.

I just wish I could get it fully under control. It appears I'm still (or is that again?) on the road to dehydration - with having mild headaches daily, dizzy spells every 10 minutes (while active, but not while sitting still), low fever, and nausea often. I've almost gotten sick all over myself several times at work. This has all been going on for close to a month now, except for those two great days. It's not like it's the first time either. I've been to the emergency room 3 times in the past year or so (plus the hospital stay) for these episodes. It's awful! I feel like a total mess most of the time. It just seems I get sicker and sicker, then go to the hospital, they fix me up.... and then a couple months later it starts all over again.

I am so tired of it. I had no idea this is what diabetics had to deal with.

Ok.... the whining session is over. Smiley

Beth
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next