Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 16, 2014, 05:05:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A "sweet" way to help out a dying friend.  (Read 491 times)
Dexterjc
House Bee

« on: November 07, 2011, 11:26:49 PM »

A good friend of mine passed away on Friday. She has been battling breast cancer for 13 years. It's so weird, because it was not but 3 months ago that I was working with her. Now her fight is over. She was the most positive person I have ever met and came to work every day with a smile on her face, even when the chemo was so bad that she couldn't swallow a bite of food. I will never forget how brave she fought, and how loving she was. I was lucky enough to see her a week ago, she was on hospice and very frail, but still smiled just as brightly. I was able to give her a little pot of my honey and as it turns out, she was enjoying tea with honey and a little crumpet every night before bed. I am so glad I had the chance to see her and she will be deeply missed.
R.I.P. Nancy
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 12:21:17 AM »

You know, I am always amazed at the human spirit when things like this happen.  I fear I would fall into a state of bitter self despair if I were in their shoes.   As sad as these stories are, it does reinforce my belief is a higher power.  I’m glad you were able to brighten Nancy's days with your honey.   
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 10:11:15 AM »

that was really nice of you.  my MIL says that the most distressing thing when her husband was sick, was that his friends stopped coming to visit.  most families don't take care of kin at home anymore and i think a lot of people must die a lonely death.....

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
hankdog1
Field Bee

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 12:37:02 PM »

It's good to hear stories like this.  It's the little things in the end that mean everything.  I remember my grandma at last when she was getting worse people kept trying to feed her apple sauce all the time.  Knowing she had a sweet tooth brought her a batch of hot brownies I baked.  It was one of the few things anybody could get her to eat from there on out.  Probably wasn't the best thing for her in the end but at least it brought a little bit of joy to her final days.

Dexterjc we need more people like you out there.  We sometimes don't know what the little things we do for people nearing the end means to them.  She was very lucky to have such a good friend. 

Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next