Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 25, 2014, 09:22:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you better off than you were four years ago?  (Read 4359 times)
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« on: October 17, 2011, 06:10:55 PM »

Data compiled from OMB, CBO, the Bureau of Labor Statistics and the Treasury Department show how difficult it may be to convince Americans that the president is equipped to right the economic ship.

As of Oct. 17, here is a snapshot of what's different, compared with Jan. 20, 2009:

-- The U.S. debt increased by an average of $4.2 billion per day. The total rise in that time breaks down to more than $13,000 in additional debt for every single American.

-- The government has spent more than $9.6 trillion, about 60 percent more than what Washington took in.

-- The country racked up as much debt in the last 1,000 days as it did in the first 79,135 days. (That's from 1776 to 1993.)

-- In the last 1,000 days, America spent $1.2 trillion in interest on the debt. By itself, that would represent the world's 15th largest economy.

-- On the economic front, 2.22 million jobs have been lost.

-- More than 2.4 million homes were repossessed for failure to pay mortgages.

-- The unemployed are staying out of work longer -- on average about 40.5 weeks, more than double the typical bout of joblessness in January 2009.

-- The jobless rate has been at or above 9 percent for 840 of the last 1,000 days.

-- Thirty-seven states have higher unemployment rates.

-- Washington has spent almost $380 billion on federal unemployment benefits.

-- Since January 2009, 7,076 new final regulatory rules were issued.

-- About 12 million more Americans are on food stamps.

-- Gas prices are up by more than 80 percent. The price-per-gallon has exceeded $3 every day in 2011.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/10/17/obama-first-1000-days/#ixzz1b4zlFQsy
Slowmodem
New Bee

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 06:50:47 PM »

What point are you trying to make?

Greg Whitehead
Euchee, TN

Watts Bar Weather
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 07:25:44 PM »

i generally take the position that a president doesn't have much to do with the economy.  congress passes regulations and spends.  however, this president has done a lot of harmful things outside of congress through czars and agencies.  that, coupled with 2 years of a far left congress that funded his adventures, has been a disaster.

the expansion of government under this admin, and it's associated spending, is pretty mind blowing..

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 07:28:14 PM »

I just wonder where all those numbers will be in 4 year from now.
Slowmodem
New Bee

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 07:45:58 PM »

i generally take the position that a president doesn't have much to do with the economy.  congress passes regulations and spends.  however, this president has done a lot of harmful things outside of congress through czars and agencies.  that, coupled with 2 years of a far left congress that funded his adventures, has been a disaster.

the expansion of government under this admin, and it's associated spending, is pretty mind blowing..

How many czars did W have (35)?
How many czars does Obama have? (32)

How much did W expand the military?  How many wars did W start?  How many trillions have we spent in the middle east because W wanted it?  Well, actually W was just Cheney's puppet.

I don't like President Obama either.  But being one-sided doesn't help things.  People need to look at the whole picture.

Greg Whitehead
Euchee, TN

Watts Bar Weather
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 08:47:38 PM »

Government expansion and consumption is a major problem. People need to remember there is only one place the government can get this money. From taxpayers.
And my point is,after all of this government spending,"called debt imposed on your children and grandchildren" has not produced anything but public sector jobs.We need private sector jobs to grow the economy.
Government spending on bad programs is not the answer. Jobs created with the stimulus package cost taxpayers 278,000 dollars each. Not a bargain unless you are said recipient of such program funds.

As far as the military,I would rather have a strong military than a growing dependency class. We just need to mind where we send them.
WALK SOFTLY,AND CARRY A BIG STICK
And remember,those that beat all their swords into plow shares shall be ruled by those who don't.

Oh,I am about on a even plateau from four years ago ,longest dry spell in quite some time.How bout the rest of ya?

On the same note:
I think often times extending the unemployment benefits deters people from actively pursuing work. I know of a few personally that would be back to work tomorrow if the benefits stopped.They think  they deserve the well paid vacation.They also seem to be quite inconvenienced to have to get a paper signed saying they have inquired about work at different places.Some around here are having trouble finding more places that say "not hiring".
 Now granted,these are people with trade skills,but want to ride it out as long as they can.
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 09:01:17 PM »

Sells and savings are down, but we cut a lot of fat to make up for it.   I think Me and my family are better off, but we are working twice as much.
bulldog
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 09:34:13 PM »

How many wars did W start?

you tell me.  how many wars did he start ?  i think it was the terrorists that started the first one. i seem to recall sept 11 being an important date somehow..
unless you're also going to say that Roosevelt started ww2 for America.

so if you count iraq, then that is 1, who sent our guys to libya ? wasn't that obama ? or are we still blaming bush for everything ? i can never keep track of this stuff.

Confucius say "He who stand on toilet is high on pot"
Jim 134
Super Bee

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 10:02:12 PM »

Government expansion and consumption is a major problem. People need to remember there is only one place the government can get this money. From taxpayers.

applause applause applause applause

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 Smiley

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 10:10:58 PM »

I have sold real estate to have living money.

My stock account is down 25%.

My expenses are up considerably.

I am on fixed income, after 55 years of public work, so have no hope of making up the loss.

Congress gave themselves a hefty raise, but says SS don't need one. Even though prices are nearly double, there is no cost of living increase.  Total bovine feces....

I would say I am much worse off.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 10:14:38 PM »

slow, bush isn't in office.  bush isn't running for office.  we need to deal with what we have....and get rid of it. 

some of these positions were created by congress.  some were temporary.

bush had 36 czars, some temporary.  21 were CONFIRMED BY THE SENATE.
-----------------
Faith Czar Director, White House Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives Willett, Don[73] 2001 Exec order Bush, George W. Faith-Based Czar,

Faith Czar Director, White House Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives DiIulio, John[74] 2001 Exec order Bush, George W.

Terrorism Czar National coordinator for security, infrastructure protection and counter-terrorism, cabinet level rank removed Clarke, Richard A. [126] 2001 Jan - 2001 Oct Pres appointed[citation needed] Bush, George W.

Terrorism Czar National Director and Deputy National Security Advisor for Combating Terrorism Downing, Wayne[127] 2001 Nov Pres appointed[citation needed] Bush, George W.

Science Czar Science Advisor to the President, Director, White House Office of Science and Technology Policy Marburger, John[121] 2001 Oct - 2009 Jan Senate confirmed Bush, George W.

Cyber Security Czar, Cyber Czar Special Advisor to the President on Cybersecurity Clarke, Richard A.[37] 2001 October Pres appointed Bush,

AIDS Czar Director of the Office of National AIDS Policy Evertz, Scott[13] 2001-2002 Pres appointed Bush, George W.

Budget czar Director of the White House Office of Management and Budget Daniels, Mitchell E.[27] 2001-2003 Pres Nominated, Senate Confirmed Bush, George W. √
Clean Up Czar Assistant Secretary for Environmental Management, Department of Energy (nuclear clean up) Roberson, Jessie[31] 2001-2004 Pres nominated, Senate confirmed Bush, George W.

Bioethics Czar Advisor to the President, Chairman of The President's Council on Bioethics Kass, Leon[22] 2001-2005 New position, exec, appointed by Pres Bush,
Reading Czar President's Advisor on Reading First Initiative, Director of Reading Research,

National Institutes of Child Health and Development, Member of the President's Commission on Excellence in Special Education Lyon, G. Reid[114] 2001-2005 Pres. appointed Bush, George W.

Regulatory Czar Director of the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs Office of Management and Budget John D. Graham [116] 2001-2006 Pres nominated, Senate confirmed Bush, George W.
Drug Czar Director National Drug Control Policy Walters, John P.[61] 2001-2009 Pres Appointed with Senate Confirmation Bush, George W. AIDS Czar Director of the Office of National AIDS Policy O'Neill, Joe[14] 2002-2003 Pres appointed Bush, George W.

Faith-Based Czar, Faith Czar Director, White House Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives Towey, Jim[75] 2002-2006 Exec order Bush, George W.

Homeless Czar, Homelessness Czar Executive Director United States Interagency Council on Homelessness Phil Mangano[92] 2002-2008 Pres. appointed Bush, George W.

Budget Czar Director of the White House Office of Management and Budget Bolten, Joshua[28] 2003-2006 Pres nominated, Senate confirmed Bush, George W.

Global AIDS Czar United States Global AIDS Coordinator Tobias, Randall[82] 2003-2007 Pres appointed[citation needed] Bush, George W.

AIDS Czar Director of the Office of National AIDS Policy Thompson, Carol[15] 2004-2006 Pres appointed Bush, George W.

Bird flu Czar Assistant Secretary of Health and Human Services, Advisor to the President for Public Health Emergency Preparedness Simonson, Stewart[23] 2004-2006 New position, Pres appointed Bush, George W.

Domestic Policy Czar Chief Domestic Policy Coordinator, Assistant to the President and Senior Advisor to the President, White House Deputy Chief of Staff Rove, Karl[53] 2004-2006 Pres appointed Bush, George W.

Health IT Czar National Coordinator for Health Information Technology, Department of Health and Human Services Brailer, David J.[90] 2004-2006 Exec order (new position), appointed by Sec. of HHS Bush, George W.

Manufacturing Czar Assistant Secretary for manufacturing and services, U.S. Commerce Department Frink, Albert[101] 2004-2007 Senate confirmed Bush, George W.

Terrorism Czar Deputy National Security Advisor for Homeland Security Brennan, John O. 2004[citation needed] Pres appointed[citation needed] Bush, George W.

Policy Czar Assistant to the President for Policy and Strategic Planning Gerson, Michael[110] 2005-2006 Pres Appointed Bush, George W.

Intelligence Czar Director of National Intelligence Negroponte, John[98] 2005-2007 Congress mandated (new position) Pres. nominated, Senate confirmed Bush, George W.

Public Diplomacy Czar Special advisor to the President, Undersecretary of State for Public Diplomacy and Public Affairs Hughes, Karen[112] 2005-2007 Pres nominated, Senate confirmed Bush, George W.

Clean Up Czar Assistant Secretary for Environmental Management, United States Department of Energy (nuclear clean up) Rispoli, James[32] 2005-2008 Appointed, Senate confirmed Bush, George W. √

Democracy Czar Deputy National Security Advisor for Global Democracy Strategy Abrams, Elliott[51] 2005-2008 Pres appointed Bush, George W.

Gulf Coast Reconstruction Czar, Hurricane Katrina Recovery Czar Federal Coordinator of Hurricane Katrina Recovery Effort Powell, Donald E.[94] 2005-2008 Pres appointed Bush, George W.

Homeland Security Czar Secretary, U.S. Department of Homeland Security Chertoff, Michael[91] 2005-2009 Pres nominated, Senate Confirmed Bush, George W. Intelligence Czar Director of National Intelligence Mcconnell, John Michael[98] 2005-2009 Pres nominated, Senate confirmed Bush, George W.

Budget Czar Director Office of Management and Budget Portman, Rob [29] 2006-2007 Pres nominated, Senate confirmed Bush, George W

Abstinence Czar Administrator of the US Agency for International Development (USAID) Tobias, Randall[8] 2006-2007 Pres Nominated, Senate confirmed Bush, George W.
Birth Control Czar Deputy Assistant Secretary of Population Affairs, Department of Health and

Human Services Keroack, Erik [24] 2006-2007 Pres Appointed George W. Bush
Faith-Based Czar, Faith Czar Director, White House Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives Hein, Jay[76] 2006-2008 Exec order Bush, George W.

Health Czar for WTC, World Trade Center Health Czar Special coordinator to respond to health effects of September 11 attacks, World Trade Center (WTC) Medical Monitoring and Treatment Program also served as Director, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health Howard, John[89] 2006-2008 Pres Appointed Bush, George W.

Global AIDS Czar Coordinator of U.S.Government Activities to Combat HIV/AIDS Globally, with the rank of Ambassador Dybul, Mark [83] 2006-2009 Pres nominated, Senate confirmed Bush, George W.

Regulatory Czar Director of the Office of Information and Regulatory AffairsOffice of Management and Budget Dudley, Susan[117] 2006-2009 Nominee failed to win Senate confirmation 2 attempts, stayed in office as recess appointment by President Bush Bush, George W.

War Czar Assistant to the President and Deputy National Security Advisor for Iraq and Afghanistan Lute, Douglas[130] 2007 New Position, Pres appointed - confirmed as Lt. General on June 28, 2007 but not as "war czar" adviser to the president Bush, George W.

Food Safety Czar Assistant Commissioner for Food Protection Acheson, David W. K.[81] 2007-2008 Pres. appointed Bush, George W.

Manufacturing Czar Assistant Secretary for manufacturing and services, U.S. Commerce Department Sutton, William G.[102] 2007-2008 Senate confirmed Bush, George W.

Cyber Security Czar, Cyber Czar Director, National Cyber Security Center Beckstrom, Rod[38] 2008 - 2009 Pres appointed[citation needed] Bush, George W.

Bank Bailout Czar United States Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for Financial Stability Kashkari, Neel[20]. 2008-2009 New position, Pres nominated, Senate confirmed Bush, George W.
--------------

obama has 38 and 33 are not confirmed. 

the position is generally one of advisor.  in the case of this admin. many have cabinet level power without the oversight.  this and his use of the alphabet agencies is how he has massively expanded regulations outside congress, and massively expanded government.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 10:16:55 PM »

oh...and don't forget we just sent "advisors" into a civil war in which we have no national interest.  a little Somalia anyone?

Alexis de Tocqueville
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 10:18:50 PM »

Kathy, note that those were "armed" advisers. Ya' know, like "soldiers"?

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
Slowmodem
New Bee

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 10:44:20 PM »

How many wars did W start?

you tell me.  how many wars did he start ?  i think it was the terrorists that started the first one. i seem to recall sept 11 being an important date somehow..
unless you're also going to say that Roosevelt started ww2 for America.

so if you count iraq, then that is 1, who sent our guys to libya ? wasn't that obama ? or are we still blaming bush for everything ? i can never keep track of this stuff.

Well, it took two helicopters and some highly trained guys to get UBL.  The two wars were totally unnecessary and too many lives were lost for nothing.

We don't have any business in Lybia either.  I think we should bring all our folks home tomorrow and let the world fend for itself.

And actually, you have to go back to Teddy Roosevelt to find the cause for WWII.

Greg Whitehead
Euchee, TN

Watts Bar Weather
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 11:00:19 PM »

The two wars were totally unnecessary and too many lives were lost for nothing.

not a history student?

And actually, you have to go back to Teddy Roosevelt to find the cause for WWII.

see above question....it was wilson.

Alexis de Tocqueville
lenape13
Field Bee

We survive together, or not at all!

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 11:34:43 PM »

In a word....NO!
Slowmodem
New Bee

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 11:49:54 PM »

not a history student?

I don't know what you mean by that.

see above question....it was wilson.

Wilson came after Teddy.  Teddy is the one that stirred up Japan.

Greg Whitehead
Euchee, TN

Watts Bar Weather
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 12:15:55 AM »

stirring up japan was not what did it.  showing disrespect for them after ww1 did.  if wilson hadn't been such a bigoted jack, japan might never have been interested in attacking us.  they had what they wanted in their own neighborhood.  he caused them to lose face in the post ww1 negotiations.  he also managed to tick off the Chinese.

almost every problem around the world, middle east to Asia, has it's genesis in the Paris peace conference..he went in there with a great deal of influence and did not use it well.

Alexis de Tocqueville
bulldog
House Bee

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 12:33:22 AM »

Well, it took two helicopters and some highly trained guys to get UBL.  

i guess we knew where he was all along. we didn't have to hunt for him or anything ? i guess we can trust our good buddies in pakistan to just hand him over, huh ?

unneccessary ? that depends on your point of view. we could easily avoid fighting in any war if we don't mind being taken over/ living in fear of constant attaacks, etc etc.

i'll agree that a lot of people died needlessly, but a lot of people also died needlessly on 9/11. should we adopt the whiny liberal mentality and just ignore it ? should we have our president chasing interns around the oval office and ignore people like osama building and arming his forces, and plotting against us, as opposed to doing his job and protecting our country. maybe we should lay off 2/3 of our miltary again ? how many times is that going to happen only to bite us in the butt later ?

and if you really want to get down to it, W didn't start the war in iraq either. you could say it began in Aug 1990 under daddy bush's watch, but it actually goes back further. W was just enforcing the UN mandated inspections iraq agreed to under their surrender agreement and did not live up to it. the real reason is (i suspect) we know they had wmd's even though they weren't found, we probably sold it to them. only they were supposed to use it against iran ( payback for the hostage thing ).

Confucius say "He who stand on toilet is high on pot"
Slowmodem
New Bee

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 01:14:40 AM »

stirring up japan was not what did it.  showing disrespect for them after ww1 did.  if wilson hadn't been such a bigoted jack, japan might never have been interested in attacking us.  they had what they wanted in their own neighborhood.  he caused them to lose face in the post ww1 negotiations.  he also managed to tick off the Chinese.

almost every problem around the world, middle east to Asia, has it's genesis in the Paris peace conference..he went in there with a great deal of influence and did not use it well.

That may be very true.  I don't know much about the Paris conference.

But, it is my understanding that Japan was as happy as a clam, minding their own business, isolationists on their islands, and didn't care didly about the US before Teddy came along.

Greg Whitehead
Euchee, TN

Watts Bar Weather
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next