This is my second year working with bees, but I had never done any of the extracting. I borrowed a four frame crank spinner, capping fork, strainer, and a couple of five gallon buckets with gates from my bee partner. I had five deep frames. Three shallow suppers, plus a few shallow frames. Never having seen honey extracted from frames it took me a bit to figure out what I was doing. I looked in the tank after I had done about 8 frames, and I was wondering where the honey had gone. So I put the bucket and strainer under the spout, and opened it up. Out came beautiful golden honey. Full Bore with no sign of letting up. I had let the tank fill up to amost the bottom of the basket, and not realized it. I ended up filling both buckets to with in 5" if the top. Some where around 110-120 lb. honey given that 5gal. is 72Lb. Not bad considering that I started on foundation this spring.
So I went from thinking that I wanted to build up to 10 colonies to wondering what would have happened if all five of my colonies were as productive as my best hive. I put the wet supers back on, and let them clean out the incomplete supers. I will use the drawn deep frames for the second hive body of a split that I have to give them a head start. There are some supers out ther that are about 85% done so I figure in about a month or so I will go back for more honey.