Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is boric acid dangerous to honeybees?  (Read 20355 times)

Offline boca

  • House Bee
  • **
  • Posts: 124
  • Gender: Male
Re: Is boric acid dangerous to honeybees?
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 03:53:15 AM »
Paracelsus, sometimes called the father of toxicology, wrote:
    German: Alle Ding' sind Gift, und nichts ohn' Gift; allein die Dosis macht, daß ein Ding kein Gift ist.
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
Or, more commonly

    "The dose makes the poison."

That is to say, substances considered toxic are harmless in small doses, and conversely an ordinarily harmless substance can be deadly if over-consumed.

Offline JP

  • The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • *******
  • Posts: 11706
  • Gender: Male
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Is boric acid dangerous to honeybees?
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2011, 09:55:35 AM »
Yes, boric acid can kill just about anything in the right dosage. It works by ingestion. It works great at eliminating various household ants. The key is to use a small amount with something like apple juice or even peanut butter depending on the ants preference. If you use just a bit of boric acid in your mix you achieve a transference effect and get colony elimination. Too much active ingredient you kill a good many but you don't eliminate the colony.

I could see it being quite lethal on a honey bee colony, particularly if used in honey during a dearth.

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus

My Youtube user name is JPthebeeman
 My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/

Offline Understudy

  • Galactic Bee
  • ******
  • Posts: 4641
  • Gender: Male
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Is boric acid dangerous to honeybees?
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2011, 05:45:14 PM »
The one thing I found really surprising was that they were using 5% concentration levels in the study. When you buy boric acid off the shelf you can get boric acid that is 99% boric acid 1% inert. The point being is that I don't think everyone realizes that just a low level of boric acid is dangerous.

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline JackM

  • Field Bee
  • ***
  • Posts: 638
  • Gender: Male
Re: Is boric acid dangerous to honeybees?
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2011, 10:27:52 PM »
Not trying to disagree with anyone, but from my experience as a businessman selling and installing cellulose insulation, the boric acid keeps the insects out as even before ingestion it is abrasive and draws out moisture.  After a day of working without gloves my hands got so dry they would crack and bleed.  Never, ever did I find bugs of any type in attics with cellulose insulation.  Why is it in the insulation?  Actually for fire retardant characteristics....for what that is worth.

I do agree it is not good for bees, but I think more in contact with it over eating it, as bugs just don't like it, not even spiders.  They stay away from it....Smell????
Jack of all trades
Master of none.