Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 16, 2014, 08:44:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On slatted racks and interior feeders  (Read 423 times)
greenbtree
Field Bee

« on: September 26, 2011, 08:12:54 PM »

I'm sure experienced beeks have noticed this but others might find it interesting.  Have had 4 days or so of rain and cold, pretty much the first of the season.   I made a few slatted racks out of curiosity over the Winter.  Today I found chilled brood on the landing boards of the hives without the racks and none on the hives with.  So I guess they work at least somewhat.

Also I started feeding 5/3 syrup in an empty deep on the hives using mason jars propped up with wood shims (A suggestion from the forum!).  I have been working late, and have been peeking in to see if they need filling after dark.  The bees will continue to take syrup after dark even though they aren't flying.  I also have one weak hive and another hive from a late swarm (really late - Sept 10th) that I chucked a half of pollen patty into - and they are taking them down.  I figure if the weather was warmer and dryer and they could fly they wouldn't touch the patty - we still have goldenrod and asters.

Tip for mason jars - after a use or two it is hard the get the lids off - but I found that if you rub a candle stub around on the threads of the jar and the lid that they come right off.

JC

"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"
D Coates
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 09:17:01 AM »

For the mason jars I've found the same thing.  I put a tiny bit of Vaseline on the threads of the lid.

Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...
L Daxon
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 11:23:24 AM »

Thanks for the tip.

I have slatted racks on all 3 of my hives and I think they do make a difference.  Also notice the queen will lay right down the the very bottom row on the bottom box frames.

linda d
Grieth
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 03:13:14 PM »

I added a slatted rack and found at last inspection that there were hundreds just hanging around under the slatts.  Congestion at the entrance seems to be greatly reduced.  So far I think the rack works to reduce entrance congestion and  help on cold days (I have also noticed fewer cold day deaths).

"The time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things:
Of shoes and ships - and sealing wax - of cabbages and kings”
Lewis Carroll
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next