Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 28, 2014, 05:20:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Federal Budjet  (Read 1057 times)
iddee
Galactic Bee

« on: September 18, 2011, 08:44:29 AM »

The Federal Budget Simplified

. U.S. Tax revenue: $2,170,000,000,000
. Fed budget: $3,820,000,000,000
. New debt: $ 1,650,000,000,000
. National debt: $14,271,000,000,000
. Recent budget cut: $ 38,500,000,000

Now, remove 8 zeros and pretend it's a household budget.

. Annual family income: $21,700
. Money the family spent: $38,200
. New debt on the credit card: $16,500
. Outstanding balance on credit card: $142,710
. Total budget cuts: $385

Sorta brings the issue "home" doesn't it?

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 02:02:41 PM »

that's good.  i think peoples eyes glaze over at the big numbers.  little stuff they can understand.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Riggs
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 03:53:54 PM »

The National Debt is almost more than this poor old country boy can get his brain around.

Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another. ~
Ernest Hemingway
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »

Agreed.  Out of control.

So what do we cut?
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 04:31:20 PM »

we might just start by not borrowing more for failed programs?  even that would be a start.  then...what have we been spending money on the last few years that has driven the debt up so much?  stop doing that.  get rid of some of these worthless alphabet agencies that cost money to run and cost the economy in regulation.  get rid of huge chunks of homeland security...like TSA.  in fact...get rid of homeland security and fix what was wrong with the agencies that already existed.

get out of Afghanistan and stop giving money to countries like Pakistan, Egypt, and "Palestine",  etc.  save that kind of buy-off for countries where we actually get a return...like Jordan, Israel, UAE....and yes...Iraq.

drill baby drill.  dig baby dig.  

there's a start......

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 04:38:54 PM »

Where do we cut? Hmm,where don't we cut. The more local the tax revenue stays,the better controlled it can be. People have left the Feds become the ever hungry Nanny state. The federal government fighting poverty probably has created a much larger class of dependents than there was before they attempted to fix it. Looking at what each individual owes on a per person basis,we as a nation are all living in poverty. Each citizens share is over 47,000 dollars. This does not include the Social Security money they have stolen from us over the years.
And it also does not include the state debts. We need to get rid of the nanny state cold turkey,let them come up with a twenty year plan and see what that will get us.
It's obvious what letting central planners have created for us.And I think I like it less every day.
hankdog1
Field Bee

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 11:47:55 PM »

Ken speak for your own state here in Virginia our state constitution requires a balanced budget.  Your only allowed to carry over a small surplus each year.  They have been talking about bringing legal action against our former governer Tim Kaine (DNC Chairman) for carring over a billion dollars in the transportation fund. 

As for cuts humm Medicare would be one.  I know it's hard to swallow but it would actually lead to cheaper healthcare through competition.  Defence would be another good one on the chopping block as if we could keep our nose out of other affairs around the world we wouldn't have to spy on everyone and liberate every country we think that needs it just to have it backfire and them to become an enemy down the road.  Education is another biggy where it seems the kids are worse off now then they were when you and I were in school.  We apparently forgot what worked and are just throwing money at new ideas because the way education worked when most of us were in school isn't politically correct.  Then we can get down to changing the tax code to raise capital.  Dissolve the IRS and put in a national sales tax for everyone meaning taxes will be collected off of illegals and tourists visiting our country.  You can go on and on with the subject like scraping Air Force One and perks for congressmen.  It all boils down to the simple fact gotta start somewhere.  Just think of it this way if Bill Gates had ran Microsoft like the federal government we would all be Apple users and he would be the poorest man in the world.

Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 12:31:22 AM »

Going to have to agree with Kathy’s cuts.  They’re realistic in my view.

The biggest problem is the entitlement programs (SS, Medicare).  They’re already eating up most of the budget and are growing way faster than anybody is making new jobs.  How do you reform/eliminate these in a “kinder and gentler” way?

Reforming Medicare?  Didn’t they ask the Republicans this question in the recent debate?  What was Ron Paul’s answer?  Have our local churches support the un-insured poor/sick?  Hmmmm, ever been to the emergency room?  Ever see the bill?  My church BARELY covers the minister’s paycheck.  It couldn’t cover 5 minutes in the emergency room bill.  The Republicans are living in fantasy land when they conjure up such simplistic solutions to complex problems.  This is a complex problem.  The costs of keeping old people alive goes up exponentially and we have no good solutions.  What does society do with all our old unhealthy people who don’t have any more financial resources left?  Ship them to Canada?
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 12:45:27 AM »

don't = ron paul with republicans.  he's a breed apart.  that said, both programs are broken and unsustainable.  they should never have been started but now that we have them, we'll never get rid of them.  there has to be some way found to make them workable.  means testing in one way. 

the whole idea of 3rd party medical insurance is bad.  worse when the 3rd party is the govt.

Alexis de Tocqueville
hankdog1
Field Bee

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 12:53:00 AM »

BlueBee think your missing the point here.  Medicare doesn't work because it is abused.  Let me go to the doctor I have a sniffle.  Now you and I might not do such things but a lot do because they aren't shelling cash out of pocket.  Your basing you idea of an emergancy room visit on current pricing.  Give you a very good example of why cutting it would help to bring down prices for all of us.  Lazer eye surgery today is better and a lot cheaper then it was when it first hit the market.  Now medicare and even insurance will not pay for the procedure so doctors are forced to be competitive.  I'm not saying load a gun hand it to grandma and grandpa then talk them into pulling the trigger.  What I am saying is through medicare and insurance companies free market isn't allowed to work.  Initually they will ask those high prices but eventually doctors and emergancy room prices will come down.  I see it happening every day where I can go get basic healthcare at the grocery store, walmart, etc. for cheaper out of pocket then I have had with health insurance.  As for the church thing heck times are rough that's for sure but a lot of churches could do more.  Not all of them are just getting by but they are more interested in sending out folks on missionary trips to BFE.  

Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 01:27:55 AM »

Ron Paul != Republican?  His bio on Wikipedia says he was a Republican from 1976 to 2011 sans 1988 when he tried something else..... 

Hankdog, you are probably right, there probably is abuse in the medicare program.  If most of the bills are from fraud, then we should be able to easily fix the system.  However I suspect much of the costs come from VERY expensive (but legit) bills from old people whose health eventually fails.  It costs a small fortune to keep people alive forever.  Sarah says nobody can pull the plug, so what do we do as a nation when Grandma/Grandpa gets in a car accident at 85 and is permanently incapacitated?  When they need tons of surgery over years to fix bones?  24 hour care?  Those bills run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars per person per year!  I just don't see how those costs are gong to be contained when the baby boomers hit the system and start needing very expensive medical procedures.  Maybe all the demand for new bones and hearts will lower the costs, but I'm skeptical.
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 06:32:59 AM »

A lot of the medicair is "medicaid" which has a very large part of the population riding on. Including illegals and lifetime welfare recipients.And as Hankdogs point about abuse,i would like to see real numbers on people who should be receiving it as opposed to those that are receiving it. Same goes with Social Security. We all know someone riding the system that lead active ,normal everyday lives doing what they want and got a doctor to write off that they can not work.
I think SSi recipients should have annual reviews for anything but being incapacitated.
And Hankdog,as far as your State Constitution,legislators ignoring it makes it a worthless document. Kinda like hanging a 35 mph sign on an open strech of road without anyone to enforce it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next