Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 20, 2014, 10:41:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Geneology  (Read 961 times)
Riggs
House Bee

« on: September 15, 2011, 10:56:18 PM »

I've just started getting into my family's history, it's interesting, frustrating, exciting, boring, and aggrivating all at once. Other than the obvious, census results, cemetaries ect. does anyone have any tips that don't cost a fortune?   Undecided

Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another. ~
Ernest Hemingway
rufus
New Bee

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 12:07:21 AM »

Google family search lds......
indypartridge
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 06:46:39 AM »

There are numerous online sites that you can spend hours searching (free), but my recommendation is talk to older family members. I had a grandmother who knew all kinds of family history but I was a typical kid; thought it was boring and would rather go out an play. What I wouldn't give for a couple hours with her now!

When my wife was searching her side of the family, she found a great-great aunt that she didn't know she had - 107 years old and still sharp as a tack. She had some great stories about those people whose tombstones we had seen in the cemetery. The best part of genealogy isn't just a bunch of names and dates, it's finding out about who those people were.
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 08:30:12 AM »

Search for... Mormon genealogy. It is the world's largest genealogy site.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
nella
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 08:36:49 AM »

https://www.familysearch.org/
rufus
New Bee

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 08:44:29 AM »

How'd you post a url?
nella
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 09:45:55 AM »

How'd you post a url?

left click on it and highlight it
right click on it and left click on copy
go to where you want to paste it
right click on that space and then left click on paste

I am using windows xp home
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 11:18:58 AM »

How'd you post a url?

you probably can't yet.  you don't have enough posts.  it's a security thing.

my husband used all the free sites, but eventually it got complicated enough that he did the Ancestry.com membership.  tons of info that way and contacts with people in other countries. he considers it worth the cost and i think they have different levels of membership/cost.

the mormons build a new thing here and as a "grand opening" gesture, they had their ancestry library and computers available to the public for a couple of days.  watch for stuff like that. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
VolunteerK9
Super Bee

Gamecock fan in UT land.

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 11:40:32 AM »

Thats the one Ive used. When you hit a roadblock with someone do a search on that name and you can usually find some more info. One thing that can be real confusing, is the spelling of names and exact birthdates. Try not to get too hung up on that cuz many times two differently spelled names will be the same person.
Riggs
House Bee

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 01:17:32 PM »

Thanks for all the replies, I hadn't found familysearch.org yet. The pay sites have always scared me.

Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another. ~
Ernest Hemingway
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 01:34:09 PM »

I did a 30 day trial on ancestry.com.

I found a ton of information in quite a short amount of time.  The neat part is tapping into the information that others have put togather.

They have all the information, pictures of all the census records, boat papers, etc. so that you can confirm/prove that these are the right people.

And then if you don't want to stick with it you can still export the genealogy part of it.

But it gets pretty costly after that.  I haven't done much with it since.

Rick

Rick
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next