Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 21, 2014, 10:39:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flooding in Central PA  (Read 1079 times)
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« on: September 07, 2011, 10:30:58 PM »

We were under the gun here early today from heavy rains sending torrents of water off of our hills,but dodged the bullet. Just as things were starting to look bad in my neighborhood the rains eased. However the line of heavy rains are now just 15 miles to our east and beyond and bringing terror and chaos to neighboring communities. there are many roads shut down and  a lot of boat rescues and evacuations being performed. Some of these places are seeing record flooding well beyond what was brought by the floods of 1996 and hurricane Agnes in 1972. We will say a prayer for these people tonight and give thanks to the emergency services personnel and Army National Guard that are working together to try and prevent unnecessary loss of life.
It sounds like many communities have been evacuated  going door to door and hope no one is left behind.It is dark and raining steady so it is difficult for them to say the least as they work in what are largely rural communities,
http://www.sungazette.com/page/content.detail/id/568180.html
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 10:44:14 PM by buzzbee » Logged
Grandpa Jim
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 12:56:48 AM »

I had 3 feet of water in my business basement.   In Agnes there was less than a foot.  Mount Joy got hit hard with many water rescues.   I have a walk in freezer and paper product storage down there and water was up to the second shelf.  We had emptied the bottom shelves earlier but never expected it to go that high.  The creek had to be 15 feet or more above normal.  We just got done hosing out the mud, only about 1/2 inch in the basement.  I have a door and windows (that side of the building is a daylight basement).  We bailed until the water came up to the windows, than closed them as the water continued to rise another foot above the sill.  The water was actually six inches above the inside water for a while.  At one point as I was carring frozen food upstairs there was a frog out side the window...he looked like he wanted in.

There is a bridge under construction in town, with cattle chutes on either side.  As the water came up a car stalled.  All the cars in the chute were stuck.  In a mater of minutes the water was filling the cars.  From the reports everyone got out but the cars were totally covered in a short time.

Our creek here crests about 3 to 4 hours after the rain stops.  I cannot imagine being along a river that may not crest for days.  Hey it is raining again and the weather map shows a steady stream still coming up from the south.  They say we could get another 4 to 5 inches in the next day!! 

Jim
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 06:28:11 AM »

Roads closed, schools closed, and water everywhere.

We may be on a rescue mission this morning to save the Governors beehives in Harrisburg. River crest of 26 feet is putting water in the gardens. Anything above that and the hive will take on water.

Looking at the radar this morning, and it looks like a bunch more rain headed this way.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
Grandpa Jim
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 12:36:00 PM »

Water cam back in basement over night, about 18 inches....had to reclean mud.  No rain right now and creek is down to what we used to consider a flood...it is down 8 feet!  Had water 6 inches from a hive here. 
Oblio13
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 12:55:45 PM »

The island we camp on in Sunbury for the annual family reunion next month is under water.
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 01:55:30 PM »

Just got back from Harrisburg and rescuing the Governors beehives. If we waited any longer, we probably were not going to get in and out of the city very easy. They are still going to get a 9 foot surge over where the water is now.

Details here: http://www.pennapic.org/governorsbeerescue.html

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 06:07:19 PM »

One of the communities hit hard in lycoming County.
http://youtu.be/Nc5mPT0lj0c
http://www.wnep.com/weather/wnep-slideshow-september-flooding-20110908,0,7242461.photogallery
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 06:25:02 PM by buzzbee » Logged
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 11:39:57 PM »

Oh Gosh Dear People I am so sorry for all you have to experience here. I pray all turns out ok for everyone.

What a harsh time now for so many people.

Grandpa Jim
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 01:36:56 AM »

Here are some pictures from our local paper http://lancasteronline.com/article/local/454378_SLIDE-SHOW--Major-flooding-around-Lancaster-County--new-photos-.html Check out #58 and #59 (bees rescued).  #92 to #94 was just down stream from me.  A car stalled in a "cattle chute" construction area of a new bridge.  No one could go anywhere and within a few minutes the cars were covered...everyone was OK.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 01:50:20 AM by Grandpa Jim » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next