Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 23, 2014, 09:00:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why honey is not vegan  (Read 1026 times)
mushmushi
House Bee

« on: August 19, 2011, 11:29:05 AM »

Why honey is not vegan

Some subsections:

Honeybees Shouldn't Pollinate
Honeybees Hurt the Environment
The Enslavement of Bees

"So how exactly is honey made? The bees swallow nectar into their crop, regurgitate it, add enzymes (spit), chew, swallow and repeat many times. Not a pretty picture, but it does make for a funny cartoon or two. Beekeepers get very defensive about this aspect of honey"

"There is often a lack of regard for the bees' lives. In the US, 10 to 20 percent of colonies are lost over the winter. It is partly by accident and partly on purpose.Some beekeepers kill off their hives before winter."

I'm not sure if this is a joke but then again, there are some stupid people out there...

Jonat
New Bee

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 03:15:21 PM »

I don't think it is a joke - nutrition is up there with religion and politics when it comes to really strange viewpoints. They could have stopped after a sentence or two that said that honey is not considered vegan because it is not a food purely from plants, animals transform the nectar.
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 04:52:59 AM »

Most of the article is pure fabrication and the rest is by far the exception rather than the rule, for instance people killing bees in the fall is not so common as people overwintering them and they act like II is the common method for getting queens when I would bet less than .01 percent of the queens are II.  I've certainly never had one.

They also ignore that many of the foods we raise and eat we brought from Europe and they require honey bees to pollinate them.  Local pollinators were not displaced by bees, they were killed outright with DDT.

>"So how exactly is honey made? The bees swallow nectar into their crop, regurgitate it, add enzymes (spit), chew, swallow and repeat many times. Not a pretty picture, but it does make for a funny cartoon or two. Beekeepers get very defensive about this aspect of honey"

It's probably overstated, it's not like bees are bulimic, I don't actually know any beekeepers who are defensive about it.  Some actually put it out front and call their product "bee barf".

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 09:25:20 PM »

...  Why honey is not vegan

Nothing new about this propaganda, it has been a standard talking point... (OK screaming point) of the animal rights corporate industry for years.
The question is what is next.  I am betting on a TV advertising campaign urging all beekeepers to spay or neuter their queen and drone bees.  grin
hankdog1
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 09:42:22 PM »

It's because it seems to be all about suffering if it tastes good it's off limits.  lol

Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!
bulldog
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 11:15:28 AM »

Veganism is a social movement designed to create a world free from animal exploitation.

tell that to the polar bear when he's eating a seal, or the lions that are tearing apart an antelope. apparently veganism will render the food chain obselete rolleyes

perhaps he meant animal exploitation at the hands of humans but it sounds far more grandiose the way he said it.

Confucius say "He who stand on toilet is high on pot"
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 12:21:55 PM »

These are generally the same people who think that it is wrong to keep any pets, including dogs.  They think that humans are a scourge, a disease on the earth.

They mostly just need to be ignored, like one ignores that little layer of yeast (an animal!!??? ) on the bottom of a wine barrel.

Rick
hankdog1
Field Bee

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 12:50:17 AM »

These are generally the same people who think that it is wrong to keep any pets, including dogs.  They think that humans are a scourge, a disease on the earth.

They mostly just need to be ignored, like one ignores that little layer of yeast (an animal!!??? ) on the bottom of a wine barrel.

If that is really true wonder what the suicide rate is with this group of people.

Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 01:49:15 AM »

Don’t we all have some odd eating habits? 

However, I agree with ya’ll, these people need some serious psychotherapy and maybe some Prozac.

I wonder if there are any studies why we all are taught the same things in school, but we all turn out so much differently.
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 03:32:32 PM »

... it seems to be all about suffering if it tastes good it's off limits...

Right on hankdog1.

Despite all protests to the contrary. Despite all claims that Animal Rights is not a religion, and despite any claim that they are non religious, agnostic, or even atheistic, the animal rights movement is a misanthropic Elmer Gantry or Puritian style religion.   evil  This new religion attempts to ban any and all things that we humans find fullfilling.  They slander beekeeping not because it is cruel, or because beekeeping causes bees to suffer, but because they suspect somewhere out there is at least one human who enjoys keeping bees.    
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next