Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 21, 2014, 11:32:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hiving a swarm  (Read 1167 times)
twintrades
House Bee

« on: July 23, 2011, 01:01:15 AM »

When hiving a new swarm should i screen off the entrance for a day or two ? It will be a new box/frames/foundation ect

Or should i be good to just hive them and let them do as they wish ? No reducer ?
BlevinsBees
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 03:27:14 AM »

Don't block the entrance. They need to get oriented and start foraging. Place a frame of brood and another frame of honey in your new box to get them started and reduce the chances of them absconding.

President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
habitatforhoneybees.com
VolunteerK9
Super Bee

Gamecock fan in UT land.

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 01:14:07 PM »

I would keep the queen locked up in a queen catcher for a day or two to deter absconding and/or use a frame of brood mentioned above.
L Daxon
Field Bee

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 01:27:38 PM »

If you don't have a queen catcher or aren't good at finding the queen, you can put a queen excluder between the bottom board and brood nest for a few days to keep the queen from leaving.  You can take the queen excluder after a few days, after the girls have gotten used to the new box.

Adding a frame of brood and/or honey stores, if you have other hives you can take them from, is also very helpful way to make the swarm want to stay in its new digs.

linda d
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 01:35:28 PM »

the excluder under the bottom box is the easiest.  i'd keep the entrance reduced to some extent for a few days but not closed.  the frame of brood and/or honey is a good way to go.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
twintrades
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 01:52:29 PM »

Due to the weather  and the fact that i didnt have a excluder i dumped them in and just hoping for the best. its raining now. So they should hold tight this weekend.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 02:19:39 PM »

if they stay, leave them alone for a week and then check for a queen.  if you don't see signs of one put a frame of eggs in there.  if it's raining and you don't think they are going to be able to forage, you'll want to think about feeding them.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
twintrades
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 04:50:08 PM »

I gave them a 1:1 sugar water when I hived them.
kedgel
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 10:03:34 PM »

I've had mixed results using a queen excluder as an "includer".  When they swarm, the queen is slimmed down for flight and can sometimes get through the excluder!  A queen cage or a queen catcher with SMALL slots is a safer bet.

Talent is a dull blade that cuts nothing unless wielded with great force--Pat Travers
twintrades
House Bee

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 10:23:35 PM »

Went out to give them more feed. And they were for the most part inside !!  grin

I shure hope they stay. I mean they were living on a fence post for 2 dyas. This hive has got to look better ! The Buck wheat and other flowers are about to bloom all around them. Aprox 1 acer worth and there located directly across from a nurcery farm with tons of flowers ! What better could they want ?
BlevinsBees
House Bee

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 11:08:50 PM »

I have never had a swarm abscond when I put a frame of brood and honey in the box. They don't leave what they think are their babies.  delivery

President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
habitatforhoneybees.com
twintrades
House Bee

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 11:29:16 PM »

Wish I could just buy one frame of each it would make things easyr.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next