Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 16, 2014, 12:09:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: algae in water  (Read 813 times)
rober
House Bee

« on: July 21, 2011, 11:50:56 AM »

it's been suggested to me by fellow beeks that i add a bit of bleach to my water pans to keep the water clean. any opinions on this?
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 11:52:30 AM »

Why are you wanting to keep water pans clean?

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
rober
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 11:58:49 AM »

not the pans so much as the water. in this heat it turns to green muck pretty quick. i'm trying to keep the bees from returning to my neighbor's bird bath. some other neighbors now have some kiddy pools out now too.
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 12:35:44 PM »

Some people suggest adding bleach to give the water a chlorine smell so instead of going to the neighbors pool; they go to your chlorine smelling water.  At least thatís the hope.  We know bees get into pools and spas and we know that pool and spas are loaded with Chlorine.  Hence I would deduce that adding bleach to kill algae would do no harm to the bees.  However I never done it, so I donít know for sure.   

It is amazing how quickly algae grows in this heat!  How about trying a soaker hose for a water source?
rober
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 12:46:30 PM »

problem with a soaker hose is the water bill. miller makes a pet waterer that is a galvanized pan with an auto float system for watering pets. as the water evaporates or is drunk it refills itself. tractor supply sells them. i might try one.
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 01:08:06 PM »

If you can get a nice mat of algae forming on the top, that will keep the bees from drowning, as well as a stable platform where they can access the water right at their feet  grin

Rick
CapnChkn
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 01:47:54 PM »

Ok, I use a "hog pan" with a piece of plastic foundation propped on one side so the bees can land on it, and walk to the water.  I rinse it out every so often, and they don't seem to mind.  We also have a pond out there that I'm guessing they go to.

If you want to use Sodium Hypoclorite, Household bleach, to keep the water sterile, you wont need a lot at all.  If you remember back to the boy scout training, you can sterilize a quart of water with 1 or 2 drops of bleach and wait 20 minutes.  I use it in my Syrup.  4ml, or 4/5 a Teaspoon of bleach will keep a gallon sterile.

Since I usually make 2:1 syrup and store it, then dilute it, it will then be equivalent to 2 or less ml per.

"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 03:06:07 PM »

Here is what Iíve got set up by my hives.  Currently a garden hose (the green thing) feeds a 1 gph dripper that is positioned between rocks in a planting flat of peat moss.  This is located under an apple tree so the water that drips out of the peat moss isnít wasted.  If Iím not too lazy to turn it off at night, it goes thru about 12 gallons of water a day.  Iím on well water, but when I was on city water, I seem to recall the first 10,000 gallons was a fixed price.  12 gallons a day might not be too expensive. 

Yeah, I know this is a real eye sore!  When I have the time, I will try to beautify it a bit.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next