Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 21, 2014, 06:06:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: pumpkin field 1-2 air mile away  (Read 945 times)
adamant
House Bee

« on: July 19, 2011, 04:50:57 PM »

i have a pumpkin field about 1-2 air mile away. should i keep my hives in my yard or bring them closer to the pumpkin field?
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 05:42:56 PM »

Just how far away, 1 or 2?   How big of a pumpkin field?   Is it your field?     I don't think I would move my hives over it.
yockey5
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 06:00:26 PM »

If the field is of several acres, and you can get permission, then I would move my bees to it. My opinion and worth what it cost you.
adamant
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 08:24:33 PM »

just talked to the farmer ..7 acres total. what i was thinking was place them in a area where it would be away from spray activity .. like to try it to see how it would benefit me and see if it would increase his yield..
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 11:32:52 PM »

cucurbits tend to be poor forage, very low flower to acre ratio compared to almost anything else.  I think the bees will get far more from the surrounding are than they will from the pumpkins.  The only benefit will be to the farmer, and if you said 7 acres, (I can't tell if that is 7 or .7 acres!) if you move them close, you are basically removing 7 acres of good forage from the bees, since pumpkins aren't good forage.

Just my $.02.

Rick
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 11:58:44 PM »

I agree with Rick, I haven’t seen diddly squat bees on my Atlantic Giant pumpkins, but I do have a number of fruit set so somebody is doing their job.  Lots of bees on the clover, porcelain vine, thistle, and other weeds. 

I wouldn’t waste time trying to get closer to pumpkins.

BTW, I hope I have to call on Charlie Brown this Halloween  grin
Jim 134
Super Bee

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 09:52:28 AM »

just talked to the farmer ..7 acres total. what i was thinking was place them in a area where it would be away from spray activity .. like to try it to see how it would benefit me and see if it would increase his yield..

I would not get any closer (about a mile or 2 away) I would not move

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 Smiley

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/
skatesailor
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 10:30:14 AM »

Leave them where they are. Its not worth the disruption in their present flight patterns and I question moving them to an area where you know they will be spraying. Think drift. Also at that distance they may have already found them if they don't have a better source closer.
Haddon
House Bee

FEMA Trailer Removal

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 11:10:59 AM »

I would ask how much he is willing to pay you to move them closer. From what I have read that most commercial guys have to leave a super of honey on the hive during melons to keep them from starving because the bees get so little from the melons I would think pumpkins would fall under the same as melons so unless he is willing to pay you for your hive leave it alone. Second pollination is how some guys make their living so you would be stepping on their toes doing it for free well not free it would be at your cost. Sorta like opening a free car repair shop what would make you want to do that.

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 12:07:28 PM »

mine bring in a fair amount of pollen from the squash and pumpkin, but you want them to be storing nectar for winter.  i wouldn't move.  if they find them....fine.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Finski
Galactic Bee

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 10:04:43 PM »

I would check what are pastures near pumpcin fieds. How long the collection of flowers bloom to give goo yield

surely a small nuc is enough to pollinate pumkin flowers.

But you could try with one hive, is the pumpkin area better pasture than your own yard area. Effective foraging radius is under  one mile.

Language barrier NOT included
Haddon
House Bee

FEMA Trailer Removal

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 05:10:18 PM »

This tells a lot.

http://extension.psu.edu/susag/news/2011/Jan-2011/1-squash-bees

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next