Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 20, 2014, 01:53:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fair price for used equipment?  (Read 654 times)
CapnChkn
House Bee

« on: July 19, 2011, 03:12:38 PM »

A friend of my brother's and I met in the local building supply chain, I mentioned I was keeping bees, and he told me he has a bunch of his grandfather's equipment in the barn being stored he would be willing to get rid of.  I've been looking all over the web for a price guide, and am only finding new, or "Upper Deck" beehive, trading cards with NHL players.

Anybody have a general guideline as to pricing on used equipment?

"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 03:19:26 PM »

depends on condition.  the last two bulk buys i made were each 300 dollars.  the first was about 10 deeps in various degrees of disrepair, that many shallows also in not such good shape, BUT 3 smokers, 3 or 4 hats and veils, a smallish manual extractor, several hive tools and other misc. bits of beekeeping stuff.

second one was another smallish extractor.  several hundred frames unassembled.  a few boxes, and misc. stuff. 

inventory the stuff and post it.  maybe we can help you figure it out.  sometimes there are treasures in the pile and you have to dig through it to find them.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
CapnChkn
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 03:57:10 PM »

Thank you Kathy.  It looks like I'm going to have to set up a visit.

"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next