Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 19, 2014, 01:52:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Took my Chief Stationary Engineer test today  (Read 4794 times)
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« on: July 15, 2011, 07:04:04 PM »

Well...

For the last 8 weeks I have driven to Cherry Hill, NJ (105 mile round trip for 2 hours school) and studied using the schools incredible online study course, all for my Chief Stationary Engineers License - Second toughest High Pressure Engineer License in NJ and NJ is considered the second toughest state for Power Plant Operators testing.

I worked my tail off for all these weeks, the test is mostly math, very complicated math formulas, one after another - often having to do 4 tough formulas to get the correct data to figure out the question. It is a 50 question multiple choice test (thank God it isn't verbal or essay) but the precision of the math and answers are often to the hundredth of a number - ugh.

I will find out likely by Wednesday whether I passed or not, and I was very complicated during the first 30 or so questions and then they covered stuff that never made the course, so I had little but an educated guess or "If all else fails choose C" options.

The reason for the  upgrade is to be the most competitive employee through merit promotion whenever the Fed hiring freeze ends, to fill a chief operator of our air-craft carrier land-based catapult test facility. This week we are launching from 2 full mockup carrier launch decks an f-18 and an C-35 stealth jet that is remarkable to see.

Being a lead operator is and will be the HIGHEST position I can ever obtain and a real honor to be in a very select group of superior operators who are greatly admired and respected. It will be an honor.

Just felt like sharing since this 2 hours a night studying for 8 weeks has occupied so much of my time and the pay-off if I pass is personally rewarding, even if the job is not opened because of the freeze.

I will post the results here when I find out, I think I did well - at least passing, but it was a mama of a test that "if" I don't succeed at, I can retest in 3 months, which means I'll be hitting the test material and other books until I have enough info to sit down again. Worse case scenario is that I have seen one of the 8 tests that they randomly hand out, so I have a good idea what might be coming again.

Cross your fingers for me - It's gonna be a long weekend waiting for the results.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
Geoff
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 07:28:17 PM »

Good luck with the results John. Having done a 6 months course on a 200MW plant operations competetive course hopefully the effort and dedication will bring a deserved result. Almost through my course I crashed with a bout of shingles but managed to get a pass. Necessailly the catch up took more effort but worked out in the long run.
      We'll be waiting to hear the good news.

Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 12:42:17 AM »

Fingers and toes crossed.  Good Luck! 

Now, what IS a Chief Stationary Engineer anyways? 
Old Blue
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 01:50:46 AM »

Best of luck to ya!

Go Beemaster go!

Old Blue
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 12:11:14 PM »

Fingers and toes crossed.  Good Luck! 

Now, what IS a Chief Stationary Engineer anyways? 

As I mentioned, I work in a air craft carrier full mock up facility which we have EXACT catapult launch system we have two 200ft rails that has a shuttle ( a pulling device) and a hold back ( a 50 thousand pound rid that holds the jet in place while it goes full throttle ) the stainless steel 6000 pound valve which has 650 pounds of steam on one side is attached to the shuttle which again is attached the shuttle that pulls the air craft when the steam is released.

It has 200 feet to get off the carrier or will splash into the ocean. The speed from the steam takes you from 0 to 240 mph in 2.2 - remember the jet is full throttle.

A stationary Engineer is the person who sends 30000 pounds of steam to receiving bottles, nearly 40ft long and 15ft high. this steam is pressurized and when the valve is opened, most of the steam is sent to the catapult launch valve,. the 50K hold back bar disengaged and the steam goes through the 200 ft pipe shooting the jet of the carrier at 240mph in 2.2 seconds.

MY JOB is to produce the steam to fill the receiving bottles mentioned using massive boiler steam out put and most importantly RECOVER the pressure in the huge receiving bottles in 45 seconds - the time in battle that jets can take off. The boilers are special, one of a kind to create such steam in such limited time.45 seconds seems fast to have a jet take off, but the have a device behind the called a Jet Blast Deflector - a water cooled wall the width of the jet that raises up to about a 45 degree angle sending the connected jets plume and heat into the air and allowing a second jet to park right behind it fully protected and ready to connect as soon as the first launches.

Chief Operator is solely responsible to see that F-18s C-35, F-22 and other jets are able to get off the raised deck, there is no room for error.

Lakehurst NJ Base is the only place in the world that does this, all air craft carriers around the world bring the launch valve here to be repaired, retrofitted,preventative maintenance and finally tested at my facility - then the are flown back to the carriers to launch thousands of jets before returning to Lakehurst.

So a Stationary Engineer has many hats, from food processing to Launching Jets. But in our case, billion dollar planes and priceless pilots lives are on the line.

Follow us on TWITTER

VolunteerK9
Super Bee

Gamecock fan in UT land.

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 12:16:33 PM »

Very nice...best of luck to ya
Shanevrr
Field Bee

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 12:37:45 PM »

goodluck....sounds like a hard one

www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 02:29:59 PM »

Cool Job BeeMaster, thanks for the description.

I’ve seen a show on the discovery channel (or somewhere) about launching aircraft from a carrier.  It looks like high stress and high responsibility.
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 08:16:43 AM »

Best of luck John. Smiley
REDBEE
Heavenly Beekeeper
House Bee

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 10:52:49 AM »

So does that mean you ar like a rocket scientist  shocked
bud1
Field Bee

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 12:43:34 PM »

congrats boss     bluebee john told me if he gets the job he gets to decide the radio chanel and tv chanel at work  a lot of incenitive if you know our bossman
sho hope you aced it boss

to bee or not to bee
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 12:48:12 PM »

good luck to you.  do let us know!!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
indypartridge
Queen Bee

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 08:15:33 AM »

Math was one of my majors in college, but that was a long time ago. I don't know that I'd have the fortitude to study that hard at this point in my life. You have my great respect for doing so.

My cousin did over 200 take-offs/landings on the Nimitz, Ranger & Constellation. Never thought about the mechanics behind the catapults until you described it. Thanks for the inside story.
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 06:19:59 PM »

Well... (off topic kinda) I wrote this massive post yesterday, all about our steam catapult and the new Electromagnet Assisted Launch System (EMALS) and I mean a long post, 4 youtube videos, 2 photos I uploaded to image-shack - I guess I never hit the upload button, cause I sure can't find it.
Even weirder (I swear) as I started typing this message, I had the second power outage today since I got home from work, the computer went down, asked if I wanted to start Windows normally and took me back to this message where I was typing the words Image-shack above - weird.

I'll get some videos linked here next post, but just type EMALS in Youtube and you will see a F-18 Strike Force Jet and a Prop Cargo Plane being launched from the EMALS - the GRAY BUILDING in the near background is my workplace, so you get to see how far it is from this $5 billion project to eliminate the need for the massive steam systems aboard "future carriers" and replace it with this (so far moderately successful) electromagnetic launch. Either way it is cool to watch, there are several videos there and one really shows off my building and BETWEEN the jet and my building is the steam catapults, one at ground level, one on the raised platform.

Note in the first video here - the LAST LAUNCH in this video is MY VIEW from work.

Navy launches first aircraft using EMALS

NAVAIR AIREEL: EMALS launch of C-2A Greyhound

Cool stuff really, and we are steaming now for nearly 2 weeks straight, practically unheard of in 2 decades, it has me working straight midnights until mid August.

-------------------------- UPDATE ----------------------

NO UPDATE. Still awaiting to find out of I past my Stationary Engineers Test. Over the last few years several of us have upgraded licenses, this is my second upgrade and everyone has heard in 3 days time - except for me, which is NOT a bad sign, because they all heard whether they passed or not - so I take no inference from not hearing yet, I did call the training center where I went to school for nearly 2 months (although realistically most of that time was ON-LINE Study) but still, they are the ones to email us our results along with the grade - and actual state notification is several weeks later. I do hope to hear from them tomorrow, by Friday or I'll be refilling the Xanax bottle - lol. So, check out EMALS in youtube and see where your money is going. It's only at Navy Lakehurst and I get to watch this stuff every day which never gets old Smiley

Now... let me see if I remember to hit the POST button.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 06:38:40 PM by beemaster » Logged

Follow us on TWITTER

buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 06:26:45 PM »

I'm gonna check it out,and yeah it posted!! Smiley
Jim 134
Super Bee

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 07:00:57 PM »

Now... let me see if I remember to hit the POST button.

lau lau lau lau lau lau lau lau

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 Smiley

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/
bud1
Field Bee

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 08:16:52 PM »

enjoyed it bossman

to bee or not to bee
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 01:47:26 PM »

JUST IN.....

John Clayton, Chief Stationary Engineer!!!

I'm sure glad it didn't take another day to find out, or even worse after the weekend!!!

Raising through the ranks of Water Tender, to Boiler Worker, to Operator, to Chief Stationary Engineer has been a long process, but today is a good day Smiley

Life often throws a lot of crappy days in between the good ones, but generally speaking I've been on a roll - and this was one I was a bit iffy about - I think everyone I know who has taken our various Power Plant Engineer and Operators Licenses have all had doubt how we did on the test until the grades came in.

Thanks all who followed, it's nice to have friends who are wishing you well.

Follow us on TWITTER

Riggs
House Bee

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 04:14:12 PM »

cheer  Congrats

Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another. ~
Ernest Hemingway
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 04:22:21 PM »

Congratulations.  Smiley
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 04:47:11 PM »

Congratulations,thats great news John. Well Done!! Smiley
Jim 134
Super Bee

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 07:27:35 PM »

Congratulations applause applause applause applause applause

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 Smiley

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2011, 12:39:19 AM »

Congratulations "Chief"!

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2011, 12:46:10 AM »

Congrats Chief Stationary Engineer and Beemaster!
Geoff
Field Bee

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2011, 05:05:05 AM »

Well done my friend, just make sure you frame that ticket and proudly display it. It takes a lot of work to get it and then comes more responsibility to carry but that can be carried by one who has gone the yards.  Happy steaming John.

Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2011, 03:32:50 PM »

Way to go Im happy for you John grin cheer

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2011, 05:35:47 PM »

Thank you all again Smiley Next I'll be working on my Refrigeration License - we have many massive chiller units on our base and having a heating and chilling license is a great combo to have JUST in case the Feds ever down size us - fingers crossed THAT never happens, but holding duel licenses in a smart idea, although I know nothing about refrigeration, I'm in a learning mode and hope to keep my education going for awhile.

Again, thanks Smiley

Follow us on TWITTER

Jim 134
Super Bee

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2011, 05:52:27 PM »

Good for you John Got to keep up your education hope you do well

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 Smiley

Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy
schawee
Field Bee

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2011, 11:27:57 PM »

great job john cheer

BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2011, 12:51:51 AM »

Happy for you John and I wish you the best, may all your desires be fulfilled.

Annette rainbow sunflower
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next