Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 16, 2014, 04:32:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harvest Season in Maryland/WV Area???  (Read 243 times)
Dimmsdale
House Bee

« on: July 15, 2011, 03:46:34 PM »

Hey Folks!  First year beek question.  I've got a first year Hive that has done pretty good this year.  I'm running all deeps and I've got 2 full deeps of brood and stores plus a 3rd deep that has about 4 full frames of honey.  I know first year hives don't usually yield any honey, but I've got to admit, I've got my eye on that 3rd super.  I don't want to be greedy and take too much, but I've heard that most hives will winter well with 2 full deeps.  I also don't mind doing some feeding for winter.  My real question is, when do you normally harvest your honey?  I am wondering if I should harvest soon and then just give them a gallon feeder to tide them over, or should I wait until later in the year, like september/october??  Don't want to take it too soon, but I also don't want a dearth to hit and have them eat all that honey when they could be eating sugar syrup.  What do you think?  Thanks for any input!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next