Wrapped up the trap out today. I went to check on the new hive this morning. When I placed it, the hive had a frame of pollen and honey as well as a frames of eggs and small larva and some capped brood. The hive had obviously been robbed blind. There were dead bees all over the bottom of the hive and the ground below. No honey, no pollen, no eggs, no larva, minimal capped brood, maybe a hand full of bees, and plenty of wax moth larva. Needless to say, it smelled really nice! There was very little activity and I believe what bees lived through the robbing probably just absconded the hive when the wax moths invaded. Either way, I learned a lot and I got a nice hive of bees to boot. I checked them as well today. The queen has hatched but not laying yet. They have drawn out almost half the hive and they are bringing in honey from somewhere. I am impressed.
Maybe next time I will use a nuc instead of a full size hive when I change out the hives. The full size hive was nice at first because of all the foragers, but when I switched the activity had slowed and the full size hive may have been to much for the bees to protect. Just a thought!