Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 20, 2014, 09:05:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello from Denver, Colorado  (Read 401 times)
shinbone
New Bee

« on: July 05, 2011, 05:42:43 PM »

Hi All,

I kept bees as a hobby when I was in high school in southern California 30-odd years ago.  I had no money and did everything myself from scratch.  I worked up to a total of 12 hives by catching wild swarms, and I made the brood chambers, bottoms, lids, and supers myself.  I also made my own bee suit and related accessories.  I kept my hives in a friend's orange orchard.  We had torrential rains one year which washed away everything.  All that hard work gone.  I was so discouraged that I never rebuilt. 

Then I got busy with college and a career, etc., and never had time nor the space to keep bees.  Now, life has settled down and the career has stabilized so that I have the time and space to start keeping bees again. 

I will be getting my new bees in the Spring of 2012.  In the mean time, I am reading books and forums, and will be ordering the necessary supplies in preparation for Spring 2012.

--shinbone

Zone 5B, elevation 5400 ft.
mikecva
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 07:40:02 PM »

Hello Denver! Welcome to the forum. After this posting, we may not be able to tell where you are from unless you change your profile location.

My first year I tried to make my own boxes, the bees got together and bought me a carpentry for dummies book.  lau lau lau lau
They really do know what they need.  -Mike

Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 08:42:24 PM »

Welcome to the forum.   There has been quite a change in the 30 years with the bees but there is also a lot of learning here on the forum going on.
apislover
New Bee

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 09:43:31 PM »

Looking forward to learning alongside you as I prepare for Spring of 2012 Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next