I run all mediums, I also hedged my bet the first year and waited until I had over 80% of the frames 80% full (with work drawing on frames 1 and 10 started.) in all three of my colony boxes. That space and honey belongs to the bees.
Since it was the first year, I did not expect any honey for myself but thought I would let the bees draw out some foundation in preparation for year two. When I added my first honey super, I took frames 1,2 and 9 and 10 out of the top box (replacing them with new frames), installed a queen excluder and added my honey super with frames 1,2 9 and 10 (with their bees) in slots 4 thru 7 in the honey super. Within a week, the bees were going crazy in their new honey super and had drawn out most of frames 2 and 9 in their top box. At about 10 days, I took the 4 original frames borrowed from the top box, and exchanged them with the center frames of the honey supper (after shaking the bees into the honey super), returning the original frames to their original positions in the top box.
At about the two week mark, I peeked in on the top box and the honey super. The bees did not attack me for what I did and were almost complete in drawing out frames 1 and 10 of their top box with several hundred bees working away in the honey super.
That year to my surprise, I had the three colony boxes full and 14 frames of honey for myself. The bees overwintered well and have done well ever since. -Mike