Alright, I must have the world's most stupid bees. For at least a month I have had a second brood box with no luck in drawing comb, after hour parties, or ANYTHING. So I waited and waited in hopes that SOMETHING would happen. Again, nothing. A few days ago I PMed Michael Bush for suggestions. He said I should that since I have a medium box (which was the full box) and a deep (the empty) to take the deep off, swap it out for with a medium, and then bait. So this past Wednesday was the day that I was last in the box and subsequently the day I emailed Michael. Thursday was golf so I wasn't going down to the hive and today is the day that I went down to carry out this plan of action. Here's the good part...I open the deep and there are the normal amount of bees in there and I make one last inspection of the frames before I make the switch. Low and behold there is the equivalent to 2 1/2 frames of drawn comb!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT THE HECK! Well, they saved me some work first off. Second, 2 1/2 frames of drawn comb in what....2 days? Not that I'm complaining. I may get a honey super for myself after all if they keep this up.
The story gets sad from here (but not too sad). I saw some varroa...well, one stinking mite actually, and I remember Michael or someone saying that all bees have varroa. Fine and dandy. Since this is the first time since I've started my hive that I have seen a mite, I really haven't been keeping up on what to do when a major infestation occurs. I don't want to medicate now, especially when I only saw ONE mite, so I am going to search the threads and see at what point it is absolutly necessary to open a pack of apistan on these mites.
By all means though, if anyone has the opportunity to reply with some mite remedies and save me some time from searching, I'd appreciatate it a ton.
And thanks to Michael for his suggestion. It may come in handy in the future.