Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 28, 2014, 12:58:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Horizontal Lang question for MB  (Read 1325 times)
BeeV
New Bee

« on: June 21, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »

A couple of questions about a horizontal Lang setup. When using frames, do you still need to use a follower like you do with a TBH? What kind of bottom board do you use, is it like a conventional BB only longer? Also, from pics, I am guessing that when adding supers you just set the regular boxes on top then slide a migratory right up against it. Correct? Thanks, Keith 

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is probably not for you.
caticind
House Bee

Nothing sweeter...

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 09:47:22 AM »

I'm not MB, of course, but I also use a long hive (horizontal lang).  Here's my $0.02.

Yes, use a follower.  You always need to reduce the amount of empty space left to the bees. 

I don't use a bottom board at all, instead I just have #8 hardware cloth stapled to the bottom.  The hive is elevated on two concrete blocks but the screen is open to the ground and the entrance is via drilled holes in the front of the hive (or top entrance via migratories).  I find this helps with varroa (when they drop out they drop aaaaall the way out), and I can get away with it because we have very mild winters.  You could build a standard bottom board if you wanted.

You're right about supers, but make sure you have calculated the length of your hive correctly!  If you're building it by assembling Lang boxes together, no problem. But if you are building from scratch make sure the length is a whole multiple of the width of the tops/supers you are using.  Otherwise you may find yourself needing 2.5 tops to cover and having to fill the gap with plywood (works but doesn't look so stylish).

The bees would be no help; they would tumble over each other like golden babies and thrum wordlessly on the subjects of queens and sex and pollen-gluey feet. -Palimpsest
BeeV
New Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 04:13:26 PM »

Thanks for your reply Caticind. Do you use an inner cover?

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is probably not for you.
caticind
House Bee

Nothing sweeter...

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 04:25:49 PM »

No, just migratory tops (my hives are about 4' long and require 3 migratory tops each).  Using migratory tops there is no need nor room for an inner cover. 

The bees would be no help; they would tumble over each other like golden babies and thrum wordlessly on the subjects of queens and sex and pollen-gluey feet. -Palimpsest
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 06:01:52 PM »

I've never used a follower but they are nice if you have them.  You can.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
FRAMEshift
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 01:12:15 AM »

I've never used a follower but they are nice if you have them.  You can.
So do you fill the the entire hive with empty foundationless frames?  Or leave empty space?

"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 10:56:04 PM »

>So do you fill the the entire hive with empty foundationless frames?  Or leave empty space?

ALWAYS fill a hive with frames (or with a TBH bars).  NEVER leave an empty space with no frames.  Even if you use a follower.  They sometimes get past it.

I have never built a follower for my TBHs and have never used one, but I think they would be nice.  I just haven't had the time to make them and they do fine without them.  They would probably do better with them because of the limited space to have to heat and because the follower is a wall that helps act as a guide to keep them from doing wild comb.  But usually they draw nice comb if you have good guides and you don't let them get off on the wrong foot by hanging the queen cage...

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next