Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 17, 2014, 04:15:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: frame holder ideas? cant see paying $20  (Read 1316 times)
adamant
House Bee

« on: June 18, 2011, 11:25:43 PM »

any frame holder ideas out there.. ? cant see paying big bucks for something that simple to make..
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 11:52:21 PM »

empty box

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
joebrown
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 11:56:24 PM »

are you talking about the thing that holds frames during an inspection? They generally hang off the side of the hive. An empty box (like kathyp said) works better and holds more frames.

or are you talking about the tool that grips them and helps pull them out of the hive. Now that tool is worth its weight in gold to me. I have the one with the end that helps you pry the frames loose and I hardly ever use a hive tool now! I bought a spare just incase something happens!

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Pry-and-Grip-Tool/productinfo/217/
bee-nuts
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 12:18:15 AM »

The ground and side of hive.  Lean it up against the hive, or keep an empty box or nuc in the yard.  What do you do when you move on to another box?  Move the frame holder?  Empty box will work better.  Its cheaper, and you can actually use it for something else.

The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson
kbenz
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 08:31:37 PM »

empty box

ditto
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 08:46:24 PM »

Ditto again on the empty box if I am tearing hives apart.   If I am just pulling frames checking, I just set them on the ground leaning against the hive.  Take a deep box and put a plywood bottom on it and it make a pretty good tool box to tote your junk out to the bees.   Then you can use it to hold frames.   Just remember it is going to get sticky.   Leave it outside to get cleaned up after wards. 
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 09:08:30 PM »

I just set them on the ground leaning against the hive.

but not by your feet.  i had a senior moment and did that once.  once was enough.  found out i can still strip, hop, and cuss at the same time.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 09:13:06 PM »

Just as long as I can keep them from crawling into my crocs or up the shorts.
Tommyt
Field Bee

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 10:32:02 AM »

but not by your feet.  i had a senior moment and did that once.  once was enough.  found out i can still strip, hop, and cuss at the same time.

lau lau lau
 Strip tease to the sound of the Mexican Hat dance @ 78 rpms
Or the chicken dance at 100 miles an hour

Sorry
I haven't had the experience Yet!! but I witnessed one lol

Tommyt

"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring