Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 19, 2014, 12:23:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: round up on garden  (Read 1287 times)
Shanevrr
Field Bee

« on: June 18, 2011, 08:58:09 AM »

ive heard you can put roundup weed and grass killer on the yard before you start tilling,  and you have a lot less weed growth......is this true?
thanks

www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 09:51:25 AM »

it will kill grass, but it's not so hot on weeds and has no impact on seed growth.  if you are going to 'till, you are probably better to just get out there with a rake and clean it out good before you plant. it you are going to plant starts, try some pre-emergent to help control weed regrowth.  if you are plating seeds, don't do that.
i am a roundup fan, but i do believe it should be used sparingly, and i don't think i'd use it in my food garden....

those rolls of black garden mat stuff that you put down and then plant through work well.  don't remember what they are called but they are easy to find.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Shanevrr
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 03:33:44 PM »

i just let it go this one time,  just got done tilling and plowing,  couldnt wait to try out my new tractor tiller. that ive been waiting o for a month.  I also got a walk behind seed planter.  so i cant use the fabric stuff.  what about 10.10.10 fertilizer.  do you use that?

www.Valleybeesupply.com
Shane C.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 03:39:29 PM »

i have an endless supply of rotted manure.  i don't use anything else. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
yockey5
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 04:49:41 PM »

i just let it go this one time,  just got done tilling and plowing,  couldnt wait to try out my new tractor tiller. that ive been waiting o for a month.  I also got a walk behind seed planter.  so i cant use the fabric stuff.  what about 10.10.10 fertilizer.  do you use that?

5-24-24 would do you better methinks. No too much need for the nitrogen in most gardens except for the corn.
Shanevrr
Field Bee

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 10:12:30 AM »

thanks for the advise,  i can get some lama manure,  maybe thats what i should do. instead of using  chemicals.   does it have to be decomposing before I use it or can i just use it if its a little fresh

www.Valleybeesupply.com
Shane C.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 10:27:06 AM »

decomposed and depending on what it's mixed with, at least a year.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Shanevrr
Field Bee

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 10:40:35 AM »

thanks

www.Valleybeesupply.com
Shane C.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring