Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 23, 2014, 02:30:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice PLEASE  (Read 1336 times)
asprince
Super Bee

« on: June 12, 2011, 02:48:20 PM »

I have 40 hives that are on the verge of starvation. What is the fastest way to feed that many hives? Earlier this spring they were on canola and they were packed with honey. It has been so dry here with little or no spring honey flow. They are now on squash for pollination but they are not getting enough nectar. Cotton is months away. If it is not irrigated here, it is dead.

I have never had to feed like this before. Any advice would be appreciated.

Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
schawee
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 03:04:57 PM »

had the same problem too.i

had the same problem .what i did was take honey frames from the hives that had extra and gave it to the hives that didn't have any.and i had to feed them sugar water.if you don't have extra honey frames i would feed them 1:1 sugar water.if you don't have feeders you can use gal.zip lock bags  and lay them on top of the frames and make a slit on top of the bag and place a empty med. box on top .i have 70 hives and 2/3 of them needed feeding because of the drought.       ...schawee

BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 03:10:51 PM »

Open feed well away from the hives is the quickest way.

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 03:14:05 PM »

Open feed well away from the hives is the quickest way.

How far away?

Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 03:19:09 PM »

had the same problem too. i had the same problem .what i did was take honey frames from the hives that had extra and gave it to the hives that didn't have any.and i had to feed them sugar water.if you don't have extra honey frames i would feed them 1:1 sugar water.if you don't have feeders you can use gal.zip lock bags  and lay them on top of the frames and make a slit on top of the bag and place a empty med. box on top .i have 70 hives and 2/3 of them needed feeding because of the drought.       ...schawee

I already did the frame swap thing. Not enough to go around.

Steve

thegolfpsycho
Field Bee

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 03:31:08 PM »

Clean 55 gallon drum of syrup with the top on, openings cut around the top under the rim, straw or floating screen.  Put it a short distance from the hives and stand back.  Have more ready cause they can move it pretty fast if they have good populations.
FRAMEshift
Super Bee

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 03:55:08 PM »

.i have 70 hives and 2/3 of them needed feeding because of the drought.       ...schawee

Hey schawee, you are right on the river aren't you?  How can you have drought problems?  I thought all the riverside plants would give you a constant bloom.

"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh
schawee
Field Bee

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 08:33:15 PM »

frameshift, the river has nothing to do with the  nector flow here.anything that would have been good for the bees is 18ft.underwater.we have tons of nector producing plants here but when you don't get rain in almost 3 months the nector isn't there.thanks for the tupelo bloom and tallow in the swamp, i probably would be feeding now.we are getting a good flow now with what i call alligator grass.its a water plant that grows in in the swamps.the bees love this.i hope to get a good harvest out of this.     schawee

BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 08:52:28 PM »

Noticed some of the sourwoods starting to bloom this week camping.  Maybe look for the hills for some sourwood.  Just everything is so dry with no rain this spring. 
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 10:23:45 PM »

second open feed unless you want to spend all day, every day, putting syrup on.  if that's not an option, i can't see any reason you couldn't do as we do in winter and dump 5 lbs of dry on each hive.  as long as there is a good water supply...and you might want to dampen it anyway, it would keep them from starving.  that dry and you might also need a pollen sub to keep them growing?

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 11:19:15 PM »

My two cents worth would bee to buy, beg, borrow, or steal one (or more) of those 3 to 5 gallon zinc or plastic gravity flow chicken waters.  Check out this link.  http://www.flemingoutdoors.com/powa.html

Then use it (them) to mass or open feed.  Hopefully not closer to the hives than a couple of a hundred yards to cut down on fighting.   Or you could establish a larger number of smaller feeders (1-2 quarts) to accomplish the same thing by spreading the wealth around in every direction.   

Don’t forget to add enough clean gravels, marbles or clean foam rubber sponges or straw to the drinker bowls to keep bee drowning down.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 11:38:05 PM »

if you use the chicken waterers be sure to screen the hole!!  if you don't, they crawl up inside and you end up with a container of dead bees.  hot glue gun and window screen, or if you have time, gorilla glue works well also.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 11:56:26 PM »

no problem with dead bees if you keep the reservoir filled, the drinking bowl full of gravels, or store the waterer when its job is done.  Besides the larger galvinised fountians have a spring loaded valve that I don't think a bee can enter.
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 03:48:17 AM »

Slightly damp sugar will stave off starvation pretty well.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 10:00:32 AM »

no problem with dead bees if you keep the reservoir filled,

the second it gets empty and you are not there to catch it, it will be filled with bees and they will die in there.  simple solution to screen it.

Alexis de Tocqueville
cowboygourmet
New Bee

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 10:13:09 AM »

I buy the syrup from Dadant in 55 gallon drums and use a small pump to fill quart jars.

Jest Remember to Keep your hands on the plow and your eyes on the Lord
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next