Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 01, 2014, 06:36:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Agressive Bees  (Read 982 times)
Linda0318
New Bee

« on: June 04, 2011, 10:20:01 PM »

Hello Everyone,

This is our second year trying to raise bees.  Last year we had one hive and unfortunately the queen died. They were very gentle bees though. This year we have two hives that we received a week ago. They are very aggressive and have been stung several times. They will not let us near them with out attacking. Any suggestions or reasons why they are behaving like this?
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 10:42:38 PM »

If they don't settle down within a week more, requeen them with queens from the northern states.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 10:46:37 PM »

You are using smoke I hope.
John Pfaff
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 08:28:05 AM »

I have less experience than you. Please do not take me seriously.

My small experience is starting to tell me that sometimes there is a concrete reason for mean bees. My most recent experience was due to robbing starting in my hives, but did not show itself for at least two days. Earlier this year when my bees got mean, I watched and found herons manning the hives during the day and eating them. I hung aluminum pie plates to scare them away. Even earlier, my bees had another mean streak and I found 'coons raiding bees at night. I set rat traps to run them off.

My experiences will be nothing like yours. Seek your own path.

Later,
John.

FRAMEshift
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 08:46:24 AM »

You are using smoke I hope.

That's what I was going to ask.  I split a hive on June 1 without smoke.  I made the bees very angry.  This morning (June 5) I went out to watch the hive and I was again attacked by a guard.  This has happened every day since I worked the hive.  If you make them angry, they can stay that way for some time.  Use smoke.

"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 03:12:21 PM »

God is amazing.   Giving just a little smoke the ability to tame bees.
sterling
Field Bee

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 03:56:11 PM »

If they don't settle down within a week more, requeen them with queens from the northern states.
If the two new hives were packages, or even if they were nucs the queen with them may not be their mother so requeening may not be needed.
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 05:55:01 PM »

You're right, Sterling. I forgot that some nuc suppliers don't supply the mother to the nuc.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 06:43:48 PM »

robbing, predators aggravating them, not having time to settle before you bug them, lack of forage/feed, all things to consider and correct before spending money on new queens.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Linda0318
New Bee

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 08:00:07 PM »

Thank you everyone for your info.  We actually went down to them last night and there were only 1 or 2 that got a little feisty.  We could actually see them flying in with pollen on their legs.  That was a good sign. I have one other question, when should I remove the entrance reducer?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next