Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 20, 2014, 09:38:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First swarm of the year located in a bundle of old wire  (Read 678 times)
MTWIBadger
House Bee

« on: May 24, 2011, 01:31:52 AM »

Had a late start to work today and as always took a look at my 4 hives before leaving.  I heard the roar in the sky and watched as a swarm settled on some old fencing smooth wire half buried in the ground.  If I had been a few minutes later I would never have seen/heard it.  I couldn't shake the swarm because in was next to the ground and the bundle of wire wouldn't move. Couldn't cut the wire because it was a tangled mess. Attempted to pick the bees up in handfuls just like JP but the wire was too dense to get many bees. My queen catcher was on back order.  So I used some Bee Quick to get the bees to march into the hive.  The bees instead resettled on the back of the single deep hive as well as an old bee package box that was making the hive level.  I didnt realize it would be an attractant. In fact several pounds of bees went into the package which I was using to prop up the hive since it was on a steep slope. Had to leave for work but my wonderful wife was able to empty the bees from the package box into the hive! 

Since I don't need any more hives, I gave it to a new member of my bee coop. Our main goal is to not have to buy another package of bees again and share equipment/bees.  I now have a very grateful member.   

I never would have hived this swarm without this bee forum and all the videos that JP posts.  Thanks everyone!!
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 06:41:05 PM »

Sweet.
hankdog1
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 10:53:01 PM »

Nice job and i bet you'll never forget what that roar sounds like either.  I know when i hear it my ears perk up start walking in the direction of the sound with eyes scanning the sky.  Best part of the swarm has to be standing in the middle with thousands of bees going everywhere incredible.

Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!
schawee
Field Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 01:19:55 AM »

good job,i love to watch a swarm come in.       ...schawee

BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 10:33:12 AM »

Great job MT, sounds like a most enjoyable experience!

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
MTWIBadger
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 11:30:25 PM »

Once I heard the roar of the bees, my heart started thumping.  I was just so fortunate to be in the right place at the right time.  I suspect the bees swarmed from one of my hives but couldn't tell for sure after opeing them up.  Yes JP it was enjoyable, especially for a rookie like me. I kept thinking, what would JP do!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next