Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 22, 2014, 05:05:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wax building - nectar vs. honey  (Read 922 times)
ziffabeek
House Bee

« on: May 16, 2011, 07:01:39 PM »

Can bees use honey stores to build comb or only nectar.  I read that they use nectar to make into wax, but I was wondering if they will use extra honey stores to get the same result?

Thanks!
love,
ziffa
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 07:10:29 PM »

Honey, nectar, and syrup all can be burned into wax by the bees.   Wax is a product of the body, from food they eat.
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 07:12:05 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beeswax     a good read.
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 07:17:56 PM »

http://www.beeswaxco.com/howBeesMakeWax.htm     - a better read on the bee part
FRAMEshift
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 08:56:38 PM »

Can bees use honey stores to build comb or only nectar.  I read that they use nectar to make into wax, but I was wondering if they will use extra honey stores to get the same result?

Thanks!
love,
ziffa

Bees are building wax when they need more storage space for nectar or brood.  That is generally happening at the same time nectar is coming in,  so nectar is the most likely immediate source of food when they are making wax.  But if honey was all they had, they would use it.

"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 12:50:30 AM »

>Can bees use honey stores to build comb or only nectar.  I read that they use nectar to make into wax, but I was wondering if they will use extra honey stores to get the same result?

If it's stored, they don't need was to store it.  They build comb when they need comb.  They need comb when there is a influx of food needing storage.  So usually that's nectar, but if they are robbing a hive, it's honey.  They have no reason to use THEIR stores to build storage.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
ziffabeek
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 04:32:52 PM »

Thanks everybody! 

I was wondering if they would use the honey they back-filled the brood nest with to build the comb in the empty super so they could start laying again.  I gave them one empty frame in the brood nest, but they had filled every spare cell with honey it seems.  Iddee advised they'd probably swarmed but I was wondering if they would empty out the brood boxes for the new queen and if they would do it by using the honey/nectar there to make the comb in the super to move it into, if that makes sense. 

Just musing about what they are going to do.  I am going to go in again this weekend and see if I need to try and give them another empty deep frame.  They had pulled out about 3 frames in the new super by last Saturday, so I'm wondering whether it will be all pulled by this weekend.  I guess we'll see!

Thanks again for the replies! 

love,
ziffa
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 06:58:00 PM »

They will move honey upward at times, to make room for brood.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 05:02:10 PM »

They will move honey upward at times, to make room for brood.

They will consolidate like stages of nectar as it is processed into honey in the same cells.  10 cells of raw nectar will, over time, be consolidated into a single cell of honey.  As long as it is uncapped bees an and will move honey all over the hive.  Sometimes it is done to provide more brood space within the brood chamber.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next