Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 20, 2014, 09:55:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wood Toxicity in Smoker Fuel?  (Read 591 times)
BeeV
New Bee

« on: May 08, 2011, 08:02:44 AM »

As a long time wood turner new to bee keeping, I thought I would try using the long shavings I make (which I have tons of) as smoker fuel. Problem is, some woods such as Walnut, are mildly toxic and shouldn't be used for things like pet bedding. I wondered if this would be a problem for the bees when burned for smoke? 

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is probably not for you.
G3farms
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 08:47:00 AM »

I have used the bark off of cedar trees for years (actually cedar fence post that have dried out) with no noticeable effects. I am like you though some of the woods contain large amounts of oils that might harm bees, not sure which ones though.

I have some family that lives in La Follette, 2 sister inlaws that live a little ways behind Big "O" market and a nephew that lives in Jacksboro. 

see my swarms and cut outs at https://www.youtube.com/user/soapy22bullet?feature=mhee

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your @ss is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 09:18:53 AM »

The smoke from walnut has been shown to have a beneficial effect on varroa populations. Grapefruit leaves and mesquite as well.

I wouldn't use anything from the teak family (including ipe) but you're most likely not turning that anyway.

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
Shanevrr
Field Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 09:42:34 AM »

as long as its aged (dried) it shouldnt be a big deal.  I read somewhere

www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.
BeeV
New Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 07:16:23 PM »

Hardwood- Do you mean that the smoke is beneficial for the mites or beneficial for controlling the mites?

G3farms - My wife is originally from Lafollette and knows absolutely everyone. She probably knows em. Wink   

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is probably not for you.
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 11:09:55 AM »

On controlling the mites (I should have been more clear). I'm not sure where to find a link but the study was done by UF.

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next