Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 30, 2014, 10:34:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spring is in the air!!  (Read 7733 times)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2010, 12:09:45 PM »

love that pic.

other than the horses i already have, i am limiting new critters to those that are edible or produce something edible.  still thinking about how to make a mini-milker work.  fixing the chicken coop this summer. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Dane Bramage
Field Bee

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2010, 10:18:10 PM »

"We eats them!!"

Actually Icelandic Sheep are a true triple purpose breed; milk, meat & wool.  The meat is especially mild and even those who don't normally have a taste for mutton tend to like it.  I get some yummy Nubian goat's milk from a small farm nearby, else I would be milking the sheep more often (have only done it for a little while last season).  The wool is excellent, very soft & luxurious.  Not that I'm trying to sell you mine, lol - but they are a good breed (good grass mowers too!). 

More info here.

KD4MOJ
Field Bee

Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2010, 10:24:14 PM »

HHmmmm Mutton.... never had it that I know of. 'Course that certain ***** restaurant down the street..... never know!

...DOUG
KD4MOJ
Dane Bramage
Field Bee

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2011, 07:49:13 PM »

Bump - new year new Spring.... finally!!!  We set records for most rainy days in March (29/31), most consecutive rainy days, latest ever to hit 60°F, etc. ,etc.,  rolleyes  Sheesh!  Bees overwintered amazingly well though (was a mild Winter) and are doing very strong in spite of the weather.  Warmest day of the year so far today.. of course, more cold and rains is forecast (tomorrow straight thru until next Saturday!).  :'(

Pear Blossoms:

Mshel
House Bee

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2011, 09:35:43 PM »

Really good pictures. grin
Dane Bramage
Field Bee

« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2011, 08:27:04 PM »

Really good pictures. grin

Thanks Mshel.   grin

These next one's aren't as nice, but I wanted to share my first swarm capture of the year.   Unsure where they came from but they were just down in the wetlands from all my colonies.  The weather has been so crappy, delaying splits... still, could have been from one of my own.  I'll know better this next weekend when I break into them and do splits and super up. 

This was a perfect swarm to catch.  Good size (~4#?) and about 9' up on a smaller tree suspended between two branches.

The ground was really mushy (wetlands with record rains, after all), but not bad.  I was able to situate an empty box directly underneath.  First test was a shake of the smaller limb, which brought down 1/3 of the swarm.  Landed right on target.  So a kick to the main limb brought down the rest.

I grabbed two frames from another hive (capped & uncapped brood, etc.,) and, within 30 minutes or so they were all snug. No stragglers above even.  I'd say a 99% capture (a couple of dozen landed in the wet and didn't survive).

So, despite the weather.. I guess it really is Spring! 

gardeningfireman
Field Bee

« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2011, 09:52:42 PM »

What great pictures! Speaking of rain; we had over 9 inches in April. Broke the all time record here. And it is still raining pretty much every day.

SerenaSYH
House Bee

« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2011, 11:10:24 PM »

OH, MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!! These are BEAUTIFUL PHOTOS DANE! I wish we were neighbors so I can have your bees visit my garden! as well as to test out my Baby Girl Eluane (she's a border collie) to see if she retained sheep herding "talent" in her. She is a way too timid and docile for a border collie unless it comes to the rabbit or the vacuum which she will herd like a crazed lunatic. Or if it comes to Agility, which she is as bold and as faaaast as they come!  cool Beautiful lambs, Dane! and the detail of the honeybees and wonderful closeups are dazzling! It'd give me such a thrill to see a swarm too!

All the excitement I'm missing out on stuck where I am at  Cry where honeybees are a rarity...
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next