i use green nitrile gloves and i've been stung through them the last 2 times i used them but this was because i pinched a bee when i was grabbing on the top bar of the frame. the stings were venomless however and not painful at all.
That's how I was stung too. I don't know about venomless? As soon as I felt the "sting", I looked at my thumb, and did not see a stinger, but it did hurt quite a bit for a few hours. It didn't swell, just looked slightly red and shiney.
I did take a Benedryl, and bought some "Sting Kill" (benzocaine) for future use. I forgot all about using plantain. I have that growing just feet from the hive.