Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 2 lost hives, sad  (Read 554 times)

Offline Draginol

• New Bee
2 lost hives, sad
« on: April 10, 2011, 11:52:54 PM »
This is my third Spring with bees and I've really enjoyed it. But it's really also gotten to be a pretty expensive hobby.

At one point, I was up to 8 hives.  By the end of last Summer, I was down to 4 hives (CCD took 1, failed queen took another, 2 others died the previous winter). 

I started the Spring here in Michigan 4 hives but shortly after it warmed up we had a really nasty cold spell which seems to have taken 2 of them out.

I'm thinking of using this Summer to split my 2 remaining hives up (they seem to be going strong).

My questions are:

1. Is splitting the way to go? I'm hesistant to keep buying more "stuff".

2. How many splits are safe? I'd like to get back up to 6 hives by the end of this Summer.  I'm not worried about honey production.

3. Do you have any suggestions on maintaining strong hives that aren't "in the books"?

Offline Dexterjc

• House Bee
Re: 2 lost hives, sad
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 12:06:59 AM »
That is sad. I am just starting so I don't have an answer. I hope you get the answers you are looking for. Best of luck.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 02:25:24 AM »
Let the big hives grow. Don't split them.

When it is good summer and a big hive has 4-5 boxes, bye a queen and make a 3 frame nuc.
When that nuc is full of frood, add again  a frame of emerging brood from a big hive. After 3 weeks new bees start to emerge, and after a month  you have full box of bees.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline amyleighhoney

• New Bee
    • http://benefitsofhoneyblog.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 05:38:13 AM »
Losing a hive is one of the fears that puts me off getting my first set of bees. I hope it works out better for you next season. My prayers are with you.
I sometimes try my hand at blogging at: Benefits of Honey. Although its a honey blog not a beekeeping blog (i'm a total newbie when it comes to beekeeping)