Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 19, 2014, 10:03:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(2)  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Checkerboarding the brood nest.  (Read 5185 times)
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 06:27:24 PM »

Will do, and thanks again for posting back.

thomas

"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 12:07:09 AM »

Just please learn from my mistake last year--I "checkerboarded" the brood nest, not having carefully reviewed old notes, and I had bad brood issues. Probably chilled brood. I have read MB (I hope I am accurate this time) suggest one empty between 2 full brood combs, but I did every other and it was definitely not a good idea.

Good luck!

Semantics I know--- but you did not "checkerboard" the brood nest grin Checkerboad is the term used for Walt Wrights Nectar Management! You opened the broodnest.
Thanks Smiley I'm very nitpicky about spelling, grammar and proper word usage, so I will try to remember this! Anyway, it was a very bad idea, but I hope to have the chance to try to prevent swarming with the BBEBBEBBE, etc.

The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
sc-bee
Super Bee

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2011, 12:50:03 PM »

Just please learn from my mistake last year--I "checkerboarded" the brood nest, not having carefully reviewed old notes, and I had bad brood issues. Probably chilled brood. I have read MB (I hope I am accurate this time) suggest one empty between 2 full brood combs, but I did every other and it was definitely not a good idea.

Good luck!

Semantics I know--- but you did not "checkerboard" the brood nest grin Checkerboad is the term used for Walt Wrights Nectar Management! You opened the broodnest.
Thanks Smiley I'm very nitpicky about spelling, grammar and proper word usage, so I will try to remember this! Anyway, it was a very bad idea, but I hope to have the chance to try to prevent swarming with the BBEBBEBBE, etc.

I understand --- not trying to be picky! I guess what I should have said is it makes it hard to search for post on checkerbaording as Walt Wright coined it when folks use it to explain methods used to manipulate brood. That is why I usually throw Walt's name in there somewhere so folks can search by his name.

I thought the post was going to be about checkerboarding but it later turned into a long hive post huh  grin

Walts ideas have been dimissed by many in particular the older, veteran beeks (you know old dog new tricks). Folks say it is the same old hive reversal, pyramiding, or opening up brood method with a different name. This is not true!

I am not sure a Northern beek has had any success with checkerboarding. But, I think a Southern beek should really study up on it and give it a try. What do you have to lose and you may just be surprised!

John 3:16
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2011, 01:26:13 PM »

Many northern beeks have practiced checkerboarding and still do. (its been called many things over the years).  Sorry about falling off topic but sometimes when a related issue arises on a thread its hard not to respond (at least it didn't deteriorate into a political debate as too often happens grin) and as long as the topic remains friendly, personally I see no harm in wandering off now and then, but again I'm sorry if you were offended, no harm intended.

Everyone has something to learn, old dogs and young pups.

thomas

sc-bee
Super Bee

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2011, 03:03:34 PM »

Not offended at all Smiley and we all tend to wander off the topic at times me included.

>Many northern beeks have practiced checkerboarding and still do. (its been called many things over the years).

I have not been in beekeeping long enough to comment on that, but if you are moving brood it is not checkerboarding! Not trying to make it a political debate, I would just like to see Walt Wright get credit where credit is due Wink

Thanks

FRAMEshift
Super Bee

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2011, 03:59:11 PM »

I thought the post was going to be about checkerboarding but it later turned into a long hive post huh  grin

Oh, sorry.  I was sort of talking about how to do checkerboarding with long hives...... sort of.  evil

Walt does deserve lots of credit.  But so far, in our rather warm climate in NC I have found KYBO to be all I need.  And supering sort of defeats the purpose of long hives.  But I may give it a try to see what happens.

"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2011, 05:42:18 PM »

Here is a link to Walt Wrights list:
http://www.knology.net/~k4vb/all%20walt%20articles.htm
sc-bee
Super Bee

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2011, 09:01:17 PM »

I know nothing about long hives huh

FRAMEshift
Super Bee

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2011, 09:11:10 PM »

I know nothing about long hives huh

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeshorizontalhives.htm

luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2011, 09:50:58 PM »

I should have mentioned that I have topbars, so the methods may not work with Langstroths. Anyway, I was trying to prevent swarming (as happened my first year) by opening up the broodnest in a BEBEBEBE pattern, but it should have been BBEBBEBBE. It's hard to get into the hives often in summer, as we run a vegetable CSA and things get crazy, so I jumped the gun and overdid it.

I want to give topbars a couple more years, but I would eventually like to try Langstroths also and see how they differ.

The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
FRAMEshift
Super Bee

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2011, 10:39:27 PM »

I was trying to prevent swarming (as happened my first year) by opening up the broodnest in a BEBEBEBE pattern, but it should have been BBEBBEBBE.

And even the BBEBBEBBE may be too aggressive in cold weather.    Start gradually adding an empty frame here and there beginning two weeks before the redbud blooms in your area, but only if the weather forecast is for warmer weather in the immediate future.  Every gap you make in the brood nest must be filled in with bees to maintain warmth for the brood.  If you see them quickly drawing white wax on those new frames and the queen starts to lay there, you can slowly increase up to the BBEBBEBBE pattern.  But keep an eye on the weather forecast.  If you see a giant cold front coming, leave the brood nest alone.

luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2011, 08:22:08 AM »

That's good advice, FRAMEshift--thanks. I believe I will start by feeding in bars at the backside of the broodnest, as WI springs are notoriously unpredictable. As we head towards solid summer weather, I will consider doing the above pattern if the hives are booming.

The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2011, 09:53:22 AM »

I started with Langs and still have several.  I got into TBH and loved them (learned alot about bee behavoir) but only have LONG Hives and Langs now since I made everything interchangable with all mediums.  My Long Hives are built long enough to fill both ends with about 5# dry sugar or syrup (once warm enough) behind followers that can be closed to bees or open depending on use desired.  Without a second floor of some form checkerboarding wouldn't be possible with LONG Hives.

thomas

Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2011, 10:04:06 PM »

Good luck!

Sematics again---Walt Wright doesn't hold the copyright on the term checkerboard or checkerboarding it is too general of a term to be copyrighted.  In common usuage it is the practice of alternating brood combs with nonbrood combs or drawn comb and foundation in a pattern.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
sc-bee
Super Bee

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2011, 09:11:20 AM »

>Sematics again---Walt Wright doesn't hold the copyright on the term checkerboard or checkerboarding it is too general of a term to be copyrighted.  In common usuage it is the practice of alternating brood combs with nonbrood combs or drawn comb and foundation in a pattern

grin

c10250
House Bee

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2011, 11:53:44 AM »

Question:  What if you want to checkerboard AND the bees have moved up into the second deep. There may or may not be brood in the second deep.  Would checkerboarding make sense?
mixofsam
New Bee

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2011, 12:57:52 PM »

Hi Everyone,
I was told the hive moves up from the bottom box to the top box as winter progresses.  Does the hive move back down in the spring so that you are able to checkerboard (i.e. not disturb the brood area)?

Thanks,
Chris
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2011, 02:56:38 PM »

If brood is in top super all you do is add another super on top and checkerboard it.  I'm using the method to lure bees up and to make new comb until it warms up enough to dig in to it for clean up and inspection.

While Spring bees are in top supers laping up syrup, making comb, is also a great time to clean up lower supers, bottom boards etc.

thomas

mixofsam
New Bee

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2011, 03:45:52 PM »

Hi T-Beek,
Thanks for the info...that makes sense.  Since we are in the same neck of the woods I'm curious when you start implementing some of this spring management.  I have 3 hive that made it thru winter and 2 seem very strong.  I don't think I'm interested in any splits this year (since I have 3 packages coming sometime this spring), but obviously I'd like to avoid swarming if possible. 

Thanks,
Chris
sc-bee
Super Bee

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2011, 07:19:54 PM »

So the confusion begins huh at least for me. But I stay  huh Are we asking about checkerboarding as Walt Wright coins it. Or since Walt has no copyright on the word, are we asking about the other checkerboarding.

Seems in recent years (my experience is only six years) the Bee Mags refer to Walt's system as checkerboarding  beat a dead horse and the other as opening the brood nest. I actually think Walt originally referred to the system he uses as checkerbaording and later changed it to Nectar Management to try and avoid the confusion. But I believe it was too late and checkerboarding stuck.

Based on that I am not sure what the last two posters were asking huh One did however mention moving no brood.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next