Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 23, 2014, 03:05:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1 to 1 syrup Getting a little green, didn't plan on making Blue Cheese??hhmmmm  (Read 1254 times)
Tommyt
Field Bee
***
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 855


Location: TampaBay Fl


« on: April 01, 2011, 10:16:00 PM »

I have 2 feeders 1/2 gallon jugs of 1 to 1 sugar water
Can I strain the moldy pieces out of it, reheat
put in it some new Clean Bottles and feed it to the Bees
or is it OVER just throw it out  shocked
Or is it still OK to just leave it on Smiley

 
all of sudden all I read and all I watched about Bees
had made me think I could sail through a good amount
of Bee situations and I find myself asking and asking embarassed

Thanks
Tommyt
Logged

"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln
scdw43
House Bee
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 85

Location: Seneca, SC


« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 10:45:41 PM »

Throw it away, wash out your feeders with a 10% Clorox solution.  Next time when you mix your syrup put a little less than a tablespoon of Clorox in a gallon. Mix up the Clorox in the syrup it will slow down the mold. Or feed 2-1 it will not mold. Give them only what they will clean up in three days.  In the fall I had hives taking a gallon a day of 2-1.
Logged

Winter Ventilation: Wet bees die in hours maybe minutes, no matter how much honey is in the hive.
Tommyt
Field Bee
***
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 855


Location: TampaBay Fl


« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 11:28:18 PM »

Thanks
 I was thinking about removing them, they are taking little to none.
I had my first inspection and he told me ,I should be feeding
all my 5 frames till they build up.
Maybe I misunderstood him ,this feed has been 5 days and maybe
a half pint gone.
 I like the Bleach Idea

Thanks
Tommyt
Logged

"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln
T Beek
Super Bee
*****
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 2776


Location: USA, N/W Wisconsin


« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 10:13:01 AM »

Tommyt;  You said "they're taking little to none"  I'd stop giving it to them if you clean up everything and they STILL don't take it (I think that's what your girls are telling you Wink 

Are they building up?  You didn't say Sad

Your part of the World must have ample resources right now.

thomas
Logged

"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."
Hemlock
Field Bee
***
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 631


Location: central, Virginia


« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 08:54:07 PM »

Wow! there's 2 threads going on about syrup & mold right now.  So I'll repeat what i said elsewhere.

Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) is a great natural preservative for syrup.  1 or 2 tablespoons per gallon of syrup will keep the mold at bay for many weeks.  I have used it for years and find the syrup will crystallize in a month but not mold before that.  Many believe it also aids against Nosema.

If the syrup you have now is very moldy than dump it.  Wash the bottles and reuse.  If the syrup has only a little bit of mold in it then strain through 2 or more paper towels into a container.  Then add the ACV (i recommend "Bragg's".  It has some good stuff in it that is filtered out by the other labels).   Feed it back to the bees in the washed 1/2 gallon jars, As long as they're taking it!

Don't be stingy.  6#'s of sugar is a lot to toss but too much mold is probably worse I guess.
Logged
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee
******
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 7369


Location: Anacortes, WA 98221

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.


WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 12:57:27 AM »

Wow! there's 2 threads going on about syrup & mold right now.  So I'll repeat what i said elsewhere.

Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) is a great natural preservative for syrup.  1 or 2 tablespoons per gallon of syrup will keep the mold at bay for many weeks.  I have used it for years and find the syrup will crystallize in a month but not mold before that.  Many believe it also aids against Nosema.

If the syrup you have now is very moldy than dump it.  Wash the bottles and reuse.  If the syrup has only a little bit of mold in it then strain through 2 or more paper towels into a container.  Then add the ACV (i recommend "Bragg's".  It has some good stuff in it that is filtered out by the other labels).   Feed it back to the bees in the washed 1/2 gallon jars, As long as they're taking it!

Don't be stingy.  6#'s of sugar is a lot to toss but too much mold is probably worse I guess.


I wish to emphasize the emphasized.  I was taught to do this by my mentor when I was 10 years old and I've been doing it for 50+  years.  It ain't Honey-B-Healthy but it's been around a lot longer and it works and it's a lot cheaper.
Logged

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Tommyt
Field Bee
***
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 855


Location: TampaBay Fl


« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 01:37:05 PM »

 It Apple Cider Vinegar for me from now on
Can I put this in their water too


Thank all of you for helping


Tommyt
Logged

"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln
T Beek
Super Bee
*****
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 2776


Location: USA, N/W Wisconsin


« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 01:44:00 PM »

There are many beeks who add a couple of drops of ACV per gallon to any other substance provided to a colony, such as in spray bottles, water as already mentioned and mixed in with syrup or patties and as a clean up for dead-outs. 

ACV, the product of 10,000? uses Smiley for home and the beeyard.

thomas
Logged

"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."
VolunteerK9
Super Bee
*****
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1647

Location: Southeast Tennessee

Gamecock fan in UT land.


« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 06:27:46 PM »


ACV, the product of 10,000? uses Smiley for home and the beeyard.

thomas

I use it myself. I take a teaspoon for myself, put it in my chickens water, have a spray bottle beside my grill to knock down the flames and add a zip to my food. Dont know if it works or not, but I still use it.
Logged
Tommyt
Field Bee
***
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 855


Location: TampaBay Fl


« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 09:31:28 PM »

I too drink it and feed the chickens
Forget what it is for chickens


Tommyt
Logged

"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln
woodchopper
House Bee
**
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 347


Location: So. Maine and SE MA.


« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 11:41:54 AM »

Wow! there's 2 threads going on about syrup & mold right now.  So I'll repeat what i said elsewhere.

Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) is a great natural preservative for syrup.  1 or 2 tablespoons per gallon of syrup will keep the mold at bay for many weeks.  I have used it for years and find the syrup will crystallize in a month but not mold before that.  Many believe it also aids against Nosema.

If the syrup you have now is very moldy than dump it.  Wash the bottles and reuse.  If the syrup has only a little bit of mold in it then strain through 2 or more paper towels into a container.  Then add the ACV (i recommend "Bragg's".  It has some good stuff in it that is filtered out by the other labels).   Feed it back to the bees in the washed 1/2 gallon jars, As long as they're taking it!

Don't be stingy.  6#'s of sugar is a lot to toss but too much mold is probably worse I guess.
I'm glad you repeated this because I didn't see the other thread. We getting this years packages on the 16th and I'll be using ACV from the start. Thanks for the heads up. cheer
Logged

Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau
VolunteerK9
Super Bee
*****
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1647

Location: Southeast Tennessee

Gamecock fan in UT land.


« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 01:25:35 PM »


Forget what it is for chickens
Tommyt

Its supposed to cut down on respiratory diseases due to ACV being an acid which aids in mucous expulsion. I havent had any swelled heads or 'rattling' chickens in a long while. Plus, its another source of some good vitamins and minerals to boot.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next
Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines | Sitemap Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.282 seconds with 21 queries.

Google visited last this page October 14, 2014, 03:29:01 PM
anything