Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 29, 2014, 05:13:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Out of interest - if a Queen were rejected would the attendants be rejected too?  (Read 698 times)
OzBuzz
Queen Bee

« on: March 24, 2011, 05:50:57 PM »

Hey Everybody,

I've been doing a heap (well for a hobbyist it's a lot) of requeening of late - i have 23 hives that i'm currently re-queening. If a queen were going to be rejected would the attendants with her be rejected/killed also?
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 09:57:04 PM »

Now there's a  question.   I doubt it.   But how would you keep an eye on the attendants to tell them from the other bees?
OzBuzz
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 10:13:07 PM »

I would assume most rejection would occur through the cage with the bees stinging - that would mean you'd likely find the queen in the cage wouldnt you and probably dead workers... i'm not 100% sure - i'm just guessing here
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 10:16:56 PM »

Stingers ain't that long to reach a bee through the cage unless the bee inside was pressed up against the screen and not walking on it.
AR Beekeeper
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 09:38:25 PM »

There is as much or more aggression shown toward attendants as there is toward the queen, that is why it is recommended they be removed before introducing the queen.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 09:52:49 PM »

however....i think you'll find that very few of us go to the trouble of removing attendants.  i have never even had anyone recommend it when i have (rarely) purchased queens. 

just don't be in any  hurry to release her.  if they are queenless, they'll take to her and any attendants that are still alive soon enough...

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next