Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 23, 2014, 05:02:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Show your age.  (Read 5172 times)
asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2011, 09:37:22 PM »

Just be careful. Here in NC they are making arrests for not paying road taxes on fuel.

When the time comes, I will gladly pay the road tax. But not until then.

Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2011, 11:40:07 PM »

The energy required to push a vehicle through air goes up as a CUBE of vehicle velocity.  ...

Disclamer:
I didn't stay at a Holliday Inn Express last night and I pawned my slide rule today to buy gas.  However, I did race on asphalt for chuckles.  The rule of thumb says that any 3300-pound sedan with 100 net horsepower will run 100 MPH on a flat track at sea level, and that air resistance isn't a major factor until you reach 100 MPH.  Faster than that and you start compressing the air in front of the car to move forward.

Then to increase forward momentum by just 10 MPH you must up Horse Power production by 25%.  Take out your el cheapo calculator and do the math, 100HP X 25% + the product = 125HP;  X 25% + the product = 156.25HP;... do this 10 times or until you reach 200 miles per hour.  You'll find your making 600-horse power by the time you reach 200 MPH, which is about the top speed of a NASCAR cup car.  In addition, any NASCAR cup type driver will claim he has 600HP under his hood.

On the other hand if you're drag racing, the rule of thumb says the best way to decrease your elapsed time by .10 (1/10) second is to lose 100 pounds of dead weight off the body, frame and running gear.  No additional power or fuel is needed, just less weight to move down the track.  Therefore, I believe weight is the greater waster of fuel, especially in an internial combustion gasoline engine.       
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2011, 08:24:24 AM »

I had a Pontiac Lemanns. It had a 350  engine with a two barrel carb. Nothing special added to the factory engine. I had the needle on the speed-o past the 120 mph number to a point I thought 135 mph should be and was still picking up speed. Poor little chevy I was racing was falling back out of sight. He had spent a lot of money on his headers and cams and pistons and holly four barrel  rolleyes

It looked like this only orange with white vinyl top.  

I don't know where my head was when I typed the engine size.  Undecided
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 07:24:08 PM by Jerrymac » Logged

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2011, 12:02:18 PM »

Sorry King, but you're hopelessly lost on this subject matter too.  Go spend some time in a library.

Power required to move a vehicle on a level road at a steady speed =
P = (Rolling Resistance*Mass*Acceleration of gravity + 1/2Air Density*Drag Coefficient * Frontal area of the vehicle*Vehicle speed squared) * Vehicle Speed

Page 49 of Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, John B Heywood (MIT).
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 12:17:31 PM by BlueBee » Logged
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2011, 01:32:36 AM »

Some of the comments on this thread rises the question of how fast have you driven a car?

My Answer:  Type car, 1973 Pontiac Police car; situation, hot pursuit; top speed, 146 mph (speedometer was calibrated and topped at 150mph).

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2011, 07:38:51 AM »

On the autobahns of Germany, far past the speedometer limit.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2011, 09:16:43 AM »

Kids... Do not try this at home.

The story above was the fastest and it is a guess as the speed-o only went to 120 mph.

I have turned 90 degree corners at speeds higher than 60 and 180s at 70 to 80 mph.

OH! And that same Pontiac.... At a little over 100mph once the tread flew off the left front tire and beat up the fender. That was interesting.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2011, 12:53:16 AM »

Sorry King, but you're hopelessly lost on this subject matter too.... 

What is the correlation of this formula to the distance traveled per a known quantity of fuel?
I fail to find one.  Maybe you can enlighten.
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2011, 06:38:33 AM »

Now this was many moons ago in my youth, but I drove my uncle's 280Z from Metairie, Louisiana to Baton Rouge in 45 minutes. Top speed 125mph, which was just about the average speed for this particular trip.  grin

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2011, 08:07:34 AM »

Yeah KingBee:

After 51 posts (I can't believe I missed that) you still haven't entered your location in the profile menu - please or I'll make one up  evil 5 posts in should have had that done - ugh. Please. If the menu confuses you, just post or PM the location. Thank you.

John

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2011, 10:41:15 AM »

Many many many foolish moons ago 135-140 on a Ninja ZX9RR (didn't really want to look down at that speed)

I used to have one while attending college in Hammond LA. I would leave my house in Baton Rouge 20 mins before class I was never late to class shocked its normally a 45 min trip in a car. I just pointed that thing east hit the center line and was gone in a blur.

Keith
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2011, 12:19:12 PM »

I got up a little over 100 on a Kawasaki 500 once and was thinking about how little there was between me and the elements.  shocked

Jerry

hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2011, 12:40:27 PM »

130+ on my Harley FXEF quite often...you wanna live forever?? grin

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next