Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 25, 2014, 03:20:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Show your age.  (Read 5187 times)
charmd2
House Bee

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 03:49:04 PM »

Hmm  $.76 cents.   Early 2000's sometime.  Smiley   kids were still in diapers.  then it tripled overnight and has stayed up since. 

Charla Hinkle
bulldog
House Bee

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2011, 09:40:07 AM »

i'm not as old as some people here  grin  , but it seems like only yesterday i remember paying $0.87 per gallon.

Confucius say "He who stand on toilet is high on pot"
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2011, 12:44:27 PM »

27.9 and they checked the oil and washed the windows.   Been a long time since I saw  a full service station.    We drove muscle cars that got 7 -8 MPG and needed premium.   The good old days. 
asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2011, 01:10:02 PM »

And on top of that regular gas was 91 octane like today's midgrade. Regular today is 87 octane diluted with up to 10% ethanol.

Steve   

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2011, 05:12:30 PM »

Correction there, Steve. When gas was 27 cent, octane was 98 plus for regular and 100 plus for premium. Ethel, it was called.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 10:37:54 PM »

Way back in the day when there was this major gas shortage, they lowered the highway speed to 55mph. I wonder why, if it saved so much fuel, they don't go back to 55 mph huh

No I never liked it....

Look at the cool cars we had back then

"I Can't Drive 55" -Sammy Hagar [HD]

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 11:13:42 PM »

Right after I posted that I turn on the local news. Right now the speed limit on Texas highways is 70mph day and 65 night. They are thinking of changing it to 75 mph day and night. Get us down the road faster.  grin

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2011, 11:38:40 PM »

first car was a 55 Chevy.  2nd and favorite was a 65 Chevy Impala.   got crappy gas mileage, but the thing was a tank! 55 was an automatic.  65 was a 3 on the tree.    don't remember what gas was when i started driving, but i remember the odd even days and it went to .75 on base.  remember thinking that gas a cigarettes seems always to be around the same price.  that time gas was more now it's less  grin

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2011, 12:57:51 AM »

they lowered the highway speed to 55mph. I wonder why, if it saved so much fuel, they don't go back to 55 mph

The energy required to push a vehicle through air goes up as a CUBE of vehicle velocity.  Dropping back to 55 would save a lot of fuel.  Don’t give the feds any ideas!  I agree with Sammy:  I can’t drive 55.

I can't remember gas being under $1 unless it was priced per liter.  Maybe I'm suffering some memory loss from sucking down all that Tetraethyllead from iddees 98 octane fuel   Wink   

« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 01:28:53 AM by BlueBee » Logged
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2011, 02:43:03 AM »

Right after I posted that I turn on the local news. Right now the speed limit on Texas highways is 70mph day and 65 night. They are thinking of changing it to 75 mph day and night. Get us down the road faster.  grin

Jerry, I was on I-10 a couple years ago travelling to and coming from California, somewhere west  around the Fredricksburg cutoff out to El Paso the limit was 85 (80 at night?) - I didn't see anyone go slower than 95.

be happy and make others happy.
VolunteerK9
Super Bee

Gamecock fan in UT land.

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2011, 12:11:17 PM »

Well, not really showing my age but I bought my F250 Diesel new in 1999 and diesel was under $1. I just came back from Tampa this past weekend and noticed diesel was at 4.01 in places. The cheapest thing to produce, but yet the highest thing to operate. I feel sorry for the big truck owner/operators. I don't have a clue as to how they are staying afloat.
asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2011, 08:28:58 PM »

Well, not really showing my age but I bought my F250 Diesel new in 1999 and diesel was under $1. I just came back from Tampa this past weekend and noticed diesel was at 4.01 in places. The cheapest thing to produce, but yet the highest thing to operate. I feel sorry for the big truck owner/operators. I don't have a clue as to how they are staying afloat.

I run my F250 diesel on WVO that I get for free. It cuts the sting out of the price of diesel fuel.

Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
VolunteerK9
Super Bee

Gamecock fan in UT land.

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2011, 09:48:10 PM »

I run my F250 diesel on WVO that I get for free. It cuts the sting out of the price of diesel fuel.

Steve

Do you make bio out of it or just filter it and and use a second tank?
Wits End
House Bee

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2011, 09:58:27 PM »

I remember in the late 60's my older sister and brother and I went for a ride in moms car. The last thing she said was "don't leave me on empty"! Before we knew it the gas was gone so between the 3 of us we dug up 29 cents and got 1 gallon of gas and parked it.

In the early 70's my dad would send me to the service station for smokes. For $1 I got a pack of cool filter kings, a can of boiled peanuts, a large bottle of coke and a nickel back.

Those were the days!

Jeff and Kellie Houston
Wits End Blueberry and Bee Farm
Greenwood Mississippi
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2011, 10:46:47 PM »

After I got out of the Army in 72 I bought a 67 Goat, 326cci.  Left the engine stock and put a taxi package suspension under it, extra stiff shocks in the rear.  Thing handled better than most sports cars and could out drive any police car it was put up against. 
At the Police academy each officer was to bring a car from their own department for the pursuit drivers training.  Even the Driver instructor from the State Patrol Academy said it was the best handling car he's ever driven.

I set it up just like my father did on the cars he bought for his Police Department.  He once chased a Corvetteuntil the engine blew.  The Patrol Car was a 1968 Dodge Cornet with a 318 engine and taxi package suspension, and a high torc rearend.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2011, 05:09:36 AM »

Do you make bio out of it or just filter it and and use a second tank?

I filter it and run it straight or blended in a second tank.

Steve

VolunteerK9
Super Bee

Gamecock fan in UT land.

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2011, 08:27:27 AM »

Since you were the OP, I don't feel too guilty of hijacking the thread  grin but did you buy a conversion kit (new injectors, glow plugs etc) or no? Ive made bio before out of some peanut oil, but frankly I have too many irons in the fire and not enough money to make any in large quantities. Ive looked at the straight WVO but some people say to buy the conversion kit, others do not. I may just need to start a new thread.
asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2011, 06:08:39 PM »

Since you were the OP, I don't feel too guilty of hijacking the thread  grin but did you buy a conversion kit (new injectors, glow plugs etc) or no? Ive made bio before out of some peanut oil, but frankly I have too many irons in the fire and not enough money to make any in large quantities. Ive looked at the straight WVO but some people say to buy the conversion kit, others do not. I may just need to start a new thread.

It's all fuel price related. No need to start a new thread.

No modifications to the trucks. I filter the oil well and use the engine coolant to heat the oil. When it is heated, the viscosity is close to diesel or close enough for the injection pump to tolerate. I have been at it for 6 years. Logged over 80K miles on the stuff with few issues. You get careless and it will get "choked on a cracklin". Saves me big $$$.

Steve

iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2011, 08:41:58 PM »

Just be careful. Here in NC they are making arrests for not paying road taxes on fuel.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2011, 09:24:04 PM »

Do you remember when you could buy a dollars worth of gas and ride for awhile?..

Yes I can.

As a kid on a road trip, I remember my uncle buying gas someplace in Texas for I think it was 11¢ or 14¢ a gallon.  It was during a gas war and within insight of an oil refinery.  Don’t know if the refinery I saw is the one the gas came from.

Myself?  Somewhere in the mid to high teens, this was during a local gas war in the 60s.  “Regular” off brand gas then went for the mid to high 20¢ levels and regular gas was 95 Octane.  Regular is now 87 Octane.  Government also outlaws gas wars now to keep the evil oil companies from profiting by selling us poor “Citizens” gas for cheap.  Go figure.

On the morning of July 5th 1998 I think it was I bought gas on the I-24 Super Slab in Connors, Ga. just East of Hotlanta for 78.9¢ a gallon.  Crude oil I think was $9.90 a barrel.   Remember, this was before our fearless leaders decided the polar bears were going down for the third time and we had to pay more for gas to keep the polar bears from drowning.  From all the April fools day snow we had today higher gas prices must be working.

I know the time and date because I took my daughters to Six Flags and two Mets-Braves ball games.  Braves first baseman Andres Galarragas hit a homer.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next