Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 25, 2014, 08:47:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Follower Boards  (Read 6815 times)
JRH
New Bee

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 05:13:38 PM »

I use 1" Styrofoam as an insulating inner layer in my telescoping outer covers, too.  To prevent chewing, I now laminate a layer of coroplast (the political lawn sign material) on the side facing the bees above the inner cover.  That stops the chewing.

In the winter I am not so sure the bees would be over against the side of the hive.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 05:25:23 PM by JRH » Logged
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 07:19:39 AM »

Agreed;  with only the slightest access bees will chew up styro.  When I first began using followers I just converted (blocked) the two outside frames, which was kind of a pain.  I've also converted 10 frame supers to 8 frame simply by adding 1 inch styro with 1/8 Luann glued and facing toward inside.  This works well but is/was permanent because I glued it in place, but bees cannot get to styro.  There is NO access to the other side with this modification.  I like movable followers for NUCs or small colonies slow to build up.  I'm thinking I may experiment with styro in the middle and Luann on both sides which would allow follower to move and provide insulation and also allow for a more substantial top bar.  Just some thoughts on follower boards, I love them and will continue to use them.

thomas

"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next