Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 23, 2014, 09:03:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upgrade KF7IMY now AE7LV  (Read 827 times)
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« on: March 28, 2011, 03:33:29 PM »

A year ago, March 10th, 2010, I passed both the Technician and Generall Class Amatuer Radio license tests and recieved my initial call sign of KF7IMY.  On March 16th, 2011 I passed the Amatuer Extra license exam and just received in the mail (today) my new call sign AE7LV.  I've had difficulty from day 1 trying to say my old call sign, I was a regular stumble tongue trying to get those calls letters out of my mouth.  One day and already AE7LV is more fluid sounding as I pronounce my new call sign.  
I figured that difficulty saying your call sign was a good enough reason to request a new one along with the license upgrade.  Besides, being slightly egotisical, I wanted my new call sign to proclaim my new status.  

I am currently the chair of the upgrade commity for the Radio Amatuer's of Skagit County, the ARES/RACES representative to the City of Anacortes Emergency Communications Center, and studying to become a Volunteer Examiner for administering test to new or upgrading hams.  I just need to turn in the paperwork.

After a year I still haven't completed my ham shack, it is still a work in progress.  After Christmas my oldest daughter and her 4 children moved out (after 4 years of college and obtaining a degree in Music Education) leaving the upstairs vacant.  The upstairs is becoming my man cave.  One corner has a twin bed and dresser for any overnighter, but the rest of it is being turned into a Library (I have between 3-5000 books) and the dormer is being turned into my Ham shack.  At my back is 4 shelves of Electronic and Amatuer Radio books and 1 shelf dedicated to nothing but repair manuals (I'm obtaining all the manuals for my Heathkit equipment, a necessity).

Having built a few Heathkit projects back when I was going to college and earning my Associate of Technical Arts (Electronics), I decided to make my ham shack a shrine to the greatest producser of electronic kits in history.  80% of my gear is Keathkit, from my HW-101 80-10 meter to my Hw-2036 2 meter mobile (I do have 2 10 meter mobiles by Radio Shack but then I used to work for Radio Shack).  Most of my test gear is either Heathkit or Radio Shack except for a 40Mhz Leader O'scope.  My main gear is the HW-101, an SB200 1500Kw amp, a SB-610 Station Console, and an SB 630 station monitor, I have a GR68 SW for searching for traffic and just listening, and 1 of the RS 10m and a Heathkit HW2036 2m installed and a Bearcat scanner for monitoring local 1st responder traffic.

As those who are hams, besides being beekeepers, know I will have to rebuild most of the Heathkit gear I have over time, to either make it operational or keep it operational.  But besides enjoying basking in the glow and warmth of Tubes, I enjoy rebuilding and homebrewing (making one's own radio and test equipment).

So until I meet you on the air, 73's from AE7LV   Brian

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
KD4MOJ
Field Bee

Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 03:47:57 PM »

Congrads Brian.

I'm still a general but I want to upgrade to extra... cuz on 80 meters, you can't get to the DX window unless you are extra. Also you don't have to worry about the frequency. I heard some guys on 40 last week and I was about to reply to their conversation... decided to double-check the freq and it was in the extra portion of 40m. Glad I did.

Mainly run digital these days instead of voice. Currently running JT65a-HF... mostly on 30 meters. Having a blast!

...DOUG
KD4MOJ
The Bix
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 07:08:32 PM »

Congrats Brian.  I had my General Class when I was a teenager back in the 70s.  After college I forgot to send in the form to renew and lost my status.  UGH!  I still have the Heathkit HW-101 I built as a 15 year old kid.  Used to like to DX on 15 meter CW.  That was fun stuff.  Now living close to the highest point in Arapahoe County, I think I have a much better location to get that going again...just need more of those two elusive commodities...
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 04:09:03 PM »

Congrats Brian:

To us Hams, we know how impressive getting your Extra Class is - Bravo. I was foolish to not upgrade to at least Advanced, I stopped at General Class. The elbow room alone was worth it.

When I started out ar 14, weren't no such things as IC CHIPS, most eveything was transistors and tubes. When I went for General, I know I could have passed the Advanced, I had studied well and chickened out.

Two years later, the technology curve of circuit boards had exponentially changed, although they did relative the same things.

Yep, although I have been off Air for about 8 years, still nothing is more fun holding a good ten meter band QSO practically anywhere in the world.

applause again

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 04:12:43 PM »

So until I meet you on the air, 73's from AE7LV   Brian

ROOKIE... it is 73 pronounced "Seven Three" not 73's (but I'm sure you know that) some old school Hams go nuts over hearing that. Kinda like people go mental if you type in all CAPS. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 03:26:41 PM by beemaster » Logged

Follow us on TWITTER

Picobrew
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 01:01:35 AM »

I could keep up with a keyer but always ran out of words on voice.  So, I kept my novice call even when I got my extra.  KA9TTM just sounds right.  cool

I think cayenne, I think cayenne.
KD4MOJ
Field Bee

Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 07:34:28 AM »

HHmmm I wonder how many beeks are amateurs here?Huh? maybe we need a roll call??

...DOUG
KD4MOJ
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 03:33:11 PM »

Built a HW-101 and The qrp HW8 (or which ever that 8 was) and I Got i loved Code as much as anything, but spend a lot of time on 10 meters and afternoons in 40M until shortwaves stations washed in. Worked All States QRP (low output power) on several bands and Had over 100 countries too QRP.

Follow us on TWITTER

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next