Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 23, 2014, 11:08:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Insolation support rods  (Read 813 times)
Stone
House Bee

« on: March 01, 2011, 10:34:58 PM »

I think can be used to mount cut out combs onto frames. Haven't tried it yet but it's an idea. They fit perfectly through the holes on the ends of frames, so I thought combs can be "skewered" and mounted onto frames while doing a extraction or cut out.  Just snip the ends with metal sheers. I've tried rubber bands - (when I attempted to rescue a feral hive from a storm torn tree) -  and it took forever.  Anybody try something like this yet?
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 10:37:30 PM »

you'd probably stab through some brood.  next time, try putting the rubber bands on the frames before you start.  then you just have to slip the over the brood.  use the fat ones that office supply places carry.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Stone
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 10:41:57 PM »

Thanks, Kathy.  Yeh, I realize I'd probably lose some brood with this method.  And I did have the rubber bands on the frames first.  Still took forever.  My problem was cutting the combs the right size to fit into the frame. Too small, they'd kind of dangle.  Too big and they'd get smooshed.  If I skewered them, they'd be stable no matter what.
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 10:57:08 PM »

It takes a bit to get the hang of rubber bands but it'll come to you soon enough. I use #64 bands. They are pretty wide and are just the right size for deep frames. I buy them in 2lb bags from office depot.

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
Humanbeeing
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 01:01:06 AM »

Putting comb into frames is one of the hardest things I have ever done. It's usually hotter than heck, and the comb is super soft. I did a cut out last year on the hottest day in August, and the comb was so soft, it could not be done. It was like trying to put socks on a rooster. I am convinced that hinged frames are the way to go. Now, I just need to find the time to build some.
http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/cut-out-frames/

HELP! I accidently used Drone eggs with the Hopkins method and I got Drag Queens!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next