Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 18, 2014, 02:21:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Went fishing today  (Read 882 times)
iddee
Galactic Bee

« on: February 18, 2011, 07:04:14 PM »

My son and I went crappie fishing today. Had a crappie minnow on a #2 wire hook, fishing at 16 feet with a bobber.
Got a bite and told my son it wasn't a crappie, then started setting the drag. To my chagrin, the drag button broke. With no way to set drag, the fight was on. 15 minutes later, he netted the 14 lb. catfish.

There's 24 fillets in my refrigerator now, waiting to be packaged and frozen, except for tomorrow night's supper.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
dean0
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 07:33:23 PM »

Way to go...I know the feeling.  When Crappie (Speck) fishing you have to be careful with setting the hook.  Set too hard and you tear their mouth.  Several years ago I was speck fishing on Lake Monroe in Sanford, Fl. underneath the I-4 bridge using minnows, small hooks and 8-lb test line. I got a bite and gently set the hook, the rod immediately bent sharply towards the water and I almost lost the rod and almost ended up in the water myself.  After regaining my composure, I fought what I thought was a very large catfish for about 30 minutes.  Exhausted, I finally got the fish to the boat and was surprised that instead of a catfish,  I had caught a 15 lb striped bass.  I wasn't even aware they lived in that body of water.  I later learned that the Florida Game and Fresh Water Fish Commission started stocking them in 1970's.  I put on another minnow and caught another striped bass weighing 12 lbs.  Guess they were down there feeding on the specks.  What a surprise when fishing with light tackle to catch such large monsters.
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 09:02:03 AM »

Theres nothing like a good day of "crappie" fishing. Smiley
Rosalind
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 03:25:32 PM »

No pics?

Congrats on the catch! Glad you didn't get a catfish sting, those things HURT!

Chickens, turkeys, 2 dogs, 3 cats, lots and lots of bees!
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 03:48:54 PM »

good stuff smiley  last time my brother came back from A'stan i think that's pretty much what he lived on.  fished my parents lake every day!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 06:27:42 PM »

I'm really surprised you got him in on a crappie outfit.  Good catch.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next