Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 22, 2014, 05:21:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crystalized Honey  (Read 2618 times)
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 08:50:08 AM »

The dishwasher is a cool idea as long as the water is not too hot to cook the honey. 
Acebird
Field Bee

Just getting started

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 11:10:35 AM »

The dishwasher is a cool idea as long as the water is not too hot to cook the honey. 

It certainly is no hotter than a double boiler.

Never thought I would do it!
Hethen57
House Bee

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2011, 12:49:20 PM »

I only ran the heat on my double boiler until the temp of my honey reached 125 degrees, then cut the heat.  It seemed to take about 30 minutes at that temp to return to liquid honey.  The end product is the clearest, most perfect looking honey that I have ever had.

-Mike
Acebird
Field Bee

Just getting started

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2011, 02:56:47 PM »

I only ran the heat on my double boiler until the temp of my honey reached 125 degrees, then cut the heat.

Yes, but the temperature of the water bath could be up around 190 degrees.  In the dishwasher the highest the temperature will be is around 140 degrees.  Both forms of warming are from the outside in.  So the temperature closest to the surface of the container will be the warmest.  A microwave will heat form the inside out which will be more even through out the whole jar of honey.  The end result is you should have to raise the temperature less to attain the same results.  The risk would be over cooking.  That is why you want to take it slow and work you way up until you can determine how many seconds of exposure it will take for the amount of honey you are warming.

Never thought I would do it!
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 04:21:21 PM »

I only ran the heat on my double boiler until the temp of my honey reached 125 degrees, then cut the heat.  It seemed to take about 30 minutes at that temp to return to liquid honey.  The end product is the clearest, most perfect looking honey that I have ever had.

You don't really want to get honey above that temperature.  Doing so will start a Pastaurizing process that kills all the real benifits of raw honey: antiseptic, would healing, hayfever, etc.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
PeeVee
House Bee

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2011, 11:23:29 PM »

I've got a connection for an old upright freezer to convert. Couple light bulb fixtures, thermostat, and I'm thinking a small fan to stir the air.

And thanks Brian for setting straight the temperature concerns Wink

-Paul VanSlyke - Cheers from Deposit,NY
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next