Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 26, 2014, 08:53:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ATTENTION: Anyone with a website in the Beemaster WebRing  (Read 2647 times)
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« on: February 02, 2011, 03:24:30 PM »

I feel I must inform you that the Beemaster's International Beekeeping WebRing at webring.org is no longer affiliated with Beemaster.com or this forum.

In an unscrupulous move by webring.org,  the Beemaster's International Beekeeping WebRing was auctioned off and management rights taken away from me, without any notification.  Because I had a few sites that where suspended for a prolong period of time because the owner did not have appropriate content,  they considered the ring as neglected and sold it to the highest bidder (a non-beekeeper from what I can tell). Although they claimed, "We'd love to have you continue growing that community, it's a good one." They took no responsibility for the action and would not offer any help in resolving other than "plead your case with them and "buy" it back from them if they are willing."  My attempt to reclaim it from the new manager has gone unanswered.

I believe the sites with the highest traffic are all people that I have met through this forum or the WpN beekeeping podcasts,  so my hope is that together we can make the webring.org ring a bust.

I have started a new ring that is run and managed right here on the Beemaster server, so this can not happen again.  I would like to ask anyone with a website currently listed on webring.org to switch to our new ring.  Simply remove the webring.org code from your webpage is sufficient, as it will stop driving traffic to webring.org.  You will still receive traffic from webring.org until they identify that the code has been removed from your site.

Then simply go to http://www.beemaster.com/_ringmaker.php   (or just click on the Join link at the bottom of this page) and join.  Once you create an account,  you will get the new HTML code to add to your website.

As is the case with this forum,  the new ring is completely advertisement-free, unlike webring.org.  The new ring hub is also a much cleaner layout and easier to navigate, AND run by beekeepers for beekeepers, not someone just looking to make a buck off your traffic.

Appreciate the help of current webring members and also anyone with a beekeeping website or blog that wants to help make our new ring a success.   It not only helps promote this forum, but will drive traffic to your site as well.

If anyone needs help putting the HTML code on their site,  just PM me.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 03:46:21 PM by Robo » Logged

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 04:11:32 PM »

What exactly is a webring and what is it used for?

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 05:01:50 PM »

What exactly is a webring and what is it used for?
A webring is a collection of websites  (in our case, beekeeping related with useful information and not just a storefront) linked together in a circular structure.

To be a part of the webring, each site has a common navigation bar (like at the bottom of this page); it contains links to the previous and next site. By clicking next (or previous) repeatedly, the surfer will eventually reach the site they started at. Home goes to a central site with links to all member-sites; this prevents the ring from breaking completely if a member site goes offline.

Sites usually join webring in order to receive traffic from related sites. When used to improve search engine rankings, webrings can be considered a search engine optimization technique.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

deknow
Field Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 05:42:30 PM »

Hi Robo,

This is exactly the kind of thing that will eventually happen to virtually all of the free services out there.  Evite is a pet peeve of mine....you give them email addresses of all your contacts, they track who bounces and who responds.  The TOS on virtually all of these sites is that the TOS can be changed at any time, so eventually they will go belly up and their assets will be auctioned off...including all the data you sent them on your best friends.

Sorry for the mini rant....

deknow
Sundance Bees
New Bee

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 12:47:13 PM »

Well that's sheisty.  Yeah everything is becoming commercialized on the web.  Thanks for creating the new webring, I've made the change to my blog.
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 01:39:02 PM »

Hi Robo,

This is exactly the kind of thing that will eventually happen to virtually all of the free services out there.  Evite is a pet peeve of mine....you give them email addresses of all your contacts, they track who bounces and who responds.  The TOS on virtually all of these sites is that the TOS can be changed at any time, so eventually they will go belly up and their assets will be auctioned off...including all the data you sent them on your best friends.

Sorry for the mini rant....

deknow

So your saying that everyone knows this ahead of time, and yet is surprised/ticked/angry when it happens?  rolleyes

Sign me up for facebook!  grin

I may be wrong, but most forums I think own all the intellectual material of anything ever posted and also can use it for whatever they feel worthy, except previous copywritten material.

And at least one other forum also monitors your discussions outside the forum itself, and openly demands that if any bad comments are ever made....anywhere about them, they hold the right to terminate your membership. Talk about "big brother".

So I don't think what happened is such a big deal. We all know the rules. We all know the game. We all know how we are going to get screwed.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
KD4MOJ
Field Bee

Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 03:19:07 PM »

Thanks Robo and John for doing this! Currently starting my beek site.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 03:33:48 PM »

Dean,

You are right and I agree 100%.  I learned a valuable lesson and that is why the new ring is hosted by me on this server.   We will remain in control of our own destiny from now on.   I guess the only bad thing is that now there is a "Beemaster" webring out that that is not affiliated with us.   Good news is that I already have a dozen people that have abandoned the the old ring and have joined the new ring.  Most all of the heavy traffic sites are accounted for,  so the old ring will take a drastic reduction of traffic.  It might end up being a good thing as the ring needed a house cleaning anyway.  Looks like a good portion of active sites will move leaving them mainly sites that should have been cleaned out.

Sundance,

Thanks, and you site has been activated, so your all set.

BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 03:45:13 PM »

Good news is that I already have a dozen people that have abandoned the the old ring and have joined the new ring. 

Good news for who?

Wouldn't it make more sense for site owners to be on both?

If I read your response correctly earlier, and I had a site on the ring, then how is deleting one for the other better?

Or can you not be on two webrings? Why does it matter if one has commercials and one does not, if they are directing traffic to my site? 

I'm just finding out about this ring stuff, so please pardon the questions.

Just wondering if being on both would be better for a business. Why would one person not want on both?

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 04:37:53 PM »

The objective of a ring should be to keep people going from site to site. If a ring has a bunch of dead or out of date sites,  people won't stay on the ring.  What incentive is there to belong to a ring that you are only providing traffic to and not receiving traffic from.  Basically giving them free advertisement and getting nothing in return.

Furthermore,  most of the high traffic sites are people that I have either become acquaintances of through this forum or WpN podcasts and appreciate the time and effort I put into both and are principled enough to support me on this effort.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next