Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 16, 2014, 07:54:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dead bee parts????  (Read 771 times)
theriverhawk
House Bee

« on: January 26, 2011, 10:24:50 PM »

Had a first today that I wanted to ask you guys about....

I run SBBs.  Thought I'd pull the boards out today just to see what was on them.  One hive had ALOT of dead bee parts on it.  The others just the normal few little parts.  This one, though, had a literal pile in the corner.  Any ideas what it could be?
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 10:34:13 PM »

sometimes bee parts just fall through, but often those parts are the leftovers of robbing.  any of that been going on?

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
theriverhawk
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 11:13:33 PM »

No robbing...been too cold.  This is a reasonably strong hive.
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 06:53:08 AM »

50F isnt too cold for robbing, I've watched it happen.  Bits of bees is a usual indicator.

thomas

"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."
kdm
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 07:22:49 AM »

Somtimes,if a mouse gets in the hive, he chewes the combs & the vibration causes a few bees to leave the cluster they get stranded & get to cold to get back to the cluster. The mouse chewes the stranded bees  up for the protein. Over a peroid of time you get a pile of bee parts.
theriverhawk
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 07:35:48 AM »

Going to be 60 degrees this weekend.  I'm going to open them up and see what's going on...

Who knows...They may have gotten this genetically.  I, also, tend to pile up my dirty clothes in the corner.  Drives my wife nuts.  grin
Rosalind
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 08:53:35 AM »

In a back corner or a front corner?

I found a similar pile around the entrance front corner. Turned out that on warmish days, the local bluejays and cardinals found that the mouse guard restricted traffic to the point that they could perch on the landing board and eat bees as they came out one or two at a time for cleansing flights, without getting swarmed by angry defenders. They are also smart enough to realize that in 3 feet of snow, the dogs will get stuck in drifts and be unable to chase them off effectively. Wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it myself. I knew corvids were smart birds, but this takes the cake.

Chickens, turkeys, 2 dogs, 3 cats, lots and lots of bees!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next