First of all, thanks for the mods for allowing me to post the picture. I initially was not allowed but a quick email got a quick response and the picture was added. Thanks!
Answers to a few questions:
- The pond is on a neighbor's property. It's about 80 feet from the bee tree to the pond. There is a rocky stream that goes through the woods, from the pond.
- The bee tree is a very happy colony. It has been there, going strong for at least 4 years. It swarms every spring, usually settling in a mass on the blueberry bushes. Man, I hope that continues!
- The entrance on the bee tree is about 10 feet up and faces into the yard, northwest.
- I am going to start with two hives from package bees. I will have an extra third hive on hand if the bee tree swarms and I can get to it.
- The homeowner has set aside part of the large detached garage for me to keep the equipment.
- Her place is about 30 minutes from my house, but 10 minutes from work. I will have access to the hives as often as I want.
- The grass is "yard like," not "field like."
I was planning on building stands that are about 20 inches off the ground anyway to limit skunk intrusion. If this will help, that's good news.