I have been thinking about the answers to these questions for a while, and thought I would ask for peoples opinion with the hope that it will help me, as well as some other new bee keepers who might be getting packages this spring, or some 2nd 3rd year keepers who might be expanding. It might also help some old timers.
I believe the #1 most important commodity to a bee keeper is drawn comb. I have a bunch of packages coming in Mid March, and don't really have any drawn comb for them. Ideally I would like five drawn frames per package, with 2-3 frames full of a 2:1 sugar:water syrup, and two empty drawn frames for the queen to start laying in. I know pollen would be nice, but we have to work with what we got, so don't worry about pollen yet.
So the question(s) are as follows.
1. For a 2# or 3# package how many drawn frames would you like in a 8 frame medium? If you use deeps, or 10 frames brood boxes please add this information to your answer.
2. How many drawn frames would have syrup?
3. What sugar:water 2:1 1:1 or 1:2?
4. How many drawn frames would be empty.
5. Would you use a 5 frame Nuc for packages, then transfer later. Please explain why.
Lets see how far this goes, and I will add some more questions later about getting drawn comb for spring 2012. I know we have only got into 2011, but we need to be thinking of next year, and what we need to do this year to get ready for 2012.