Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 28, 2014, 08:53:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not too bad so far...  (Read 539 times)
VolunteerK9
Super Bee

Gamecock fan in UT land.

« on: December 30, 2010, 01:12:34 PM »

Well, its 43 degrees here today..supposed to reach mid 50's by the end of the week. I went to check on the hives and I have bees flying! They are hauling out there dead and quite obviously making their cleansing flights. I went in to the winter with 7 hives-lost one so far. It was a weak hive that hindsight tells me that I should have placed in a nuc. Oh well, at least a spring package will have a huge head start on some drawn comb. I know Im not out of the woods yet, but it was very pleasing to see them, in good numbers, flying out of their hives. I went with all packages, a small swarm or two, and no medications and varied SC foundations, foundationless, and some plastic. I was really dreading the winter but am mighty glad to see them survive this far with the cold weather that we have been having. Just rambling....must be the pain meds  rolleyes
rdy-b
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 04:00:44 PM »

1 out of seven is better than most-if there is extra stores and other hives are light
 it wouldn't hurt to give them a frame of honey from the dead hive -as-long as there was no problem with disease -dosent sound like there was-what are you recovering from K9-RDY-B
VolunteerK9
Super Bee

Gamecock fan in UT land.

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 05:52:11 PM »

I had a torn rotator cuff and a labral tear in my left shoulder. Got it 'fixed' last Wednesday. I'm here to tell ya, its the worst friggin pain Ive ever experienced.

I dont think the hives demise was due to anything other than a low population going in to winter. Lesson learned the hard way.
rdy-b
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 06:10:24 PM »

yea fall brood that turns into long lived winter bees-is very important
 to cary the hive through--sounds like your on light duty for awhile-pain is no fun-RDY-B
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next