Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 02, 2014, 09:35:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost Hive  (Read 755 times)
achunter
House Bee

« on: December 24, 2010, 08:11:53 PM »

Sadly discovered I lost one of my what I believed to be a strong hive going into winter, not sure why it died, was a pretty depressing discovery. Hope the others are going to be alright.  Sad
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 08:17:14 PM »

it is unfortunate, but for most it is a yearly event.  you may never know why.  could have been robbing that you missed.  queen could have been lost late.  heavy mite load.  combination of all....  starvation is common, but if you knew they were ok going into winter, it's a little early for that.

try not to feel bad.  i have already lost two.  they were two that i knew where iffy, but it's still a little sad.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 10:09:49 PM »

Or the aliens again.   They got one of my hives when the cold got here this year. 
jhs494
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 12:16:41 PM »

I hate seeing anyone lose bees especially this early. We still have a long way until spring.
This got me thinking that I hadn't really gave the hives a check so far. I took out the stethoscope and gave a listen and they all sound good. All the hives are still low in the bottom boxes and we have had some pretty cold days so far.

Good luck with your other hives and hopefully we will have an early productive spring!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 09:51:44 PM by jhs494 » Logged

Joe S.
slacker361
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 01:01:25 PM »

Allen ,   are they cutting up the bees like they use to cut up the cattle?
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 04:22:37 PM »

Not yet, but the circles in the snow in the back yard is very disturbing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next